add status button disabled.

Mohammed Naseer September 7, 2017

Can someone please explain to me in simple English steps, how to enable the 'add status' button under 'Issues' and under 'Statuses' which is currently greyed out. I know it has to do with permissions but after looking at the article on permissions I am confused. Can someone please expalin how a project which uses simplified work flow, you can enable the add status button - thanking in advance

5 answers

1 vote
Brandon Adams May 12, 2018

If one signs up and creates a new account then creates a new project one still has to configure themselves to be the board admin of the board created by default in the project, correct?

0 votes

I just subscribed to the cloud edition of Jira and confluence What do I need to do to be a full administrator ?

What steps do I need to go through in order to become one ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

If you set up the account, you are the one who has the highest level of access you can get on Jira.  You do not get "system" admin, that is for Atlassian only.

Mohammed Naseer September 8, 2017

not clear, I just subscribed to the cloud version and want to be able to add statuses so that I can add extra columns on my board. What do i need to do to get over this hurdle ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Same answer.  You need to be a board admin of a board with a simplified workflow, or you need to be a Jira Admin and edit the workflow.

Brian Jones October 31, 2018

I have same problem. I am the administrator and the workflow is configured as "Using Simplified Workflow". I still cannot add status, the button is grayed out.

Like # people like this
Brian Jones October 31, 2018

Brandon Adams is right, even though my account is site administrator I had to configure my own account to have a Administrators role for Project. This is done under Project Settings -> People. Add your  account and set Role to be Administrators.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2018

A "de-simplified" workflow inherits the name unless an admin remembers to rename it, so you may be looking at a non-simplified workflow that has a misleading name.

Or, you are not a board admin.  System and Jira admin rights give you rights to admin the system, not do everything (very bad security model).

cam vokey December 14, 2018

Lots of digging around trying to figure this out - Brandon Adams was right!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2017

To get this option, you must be a board administrator with a board that has had "simplified workflow" applied to it, by a full administrator.

0 votes

Hi - thanks for replying.

Under 'Kanban Board' -> 'Board Settings' page.

https://<xyz>.atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=6&projectKey=XYZ&config=columns

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2017

Are you administrator of the board? You can set that in the "General" configuration of the board.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2017

Hi Mohammed,

where do you want to enable the "add status button"? In the administration console:  

http://<your jira url>/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa

or do you mean another page?

Suggest an answer