add resolution screen to service desk

John Keenan March 9, 2017

This system is a godawful nightmare.

I have spent the entire morning trying to do one simple thing in JIRA Service desk:   Stop the Resolution from automatically being set when an agent enters a ticket.   I figured out that I have to remove the Resolution field from the Edit screen, but now I'm trying to add a Resolution screen for agents to be able to resolve the tickets.   I am lost in a sea of screen edits, workflows, field edits, etc., and I can't make any changes for fear that I'm going to change everything for the existing other (developer) projects.   Can anyone help me with what should be a trivial issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2017

I usually open up the workflow for the issues as a diagram and look at the colours.

Draw a circle around all the status that are "done" - these are usually shown in green (they're things like ended, done, resolved, complete, cancelled - all "we're doing nothing more with this issue" type status).

For any transition arrow that leaves the circle, put a post-function on it for "clear resolution" (set issue field is the name of the post-function)

For any transition arrow that enters the circle, you either need a post-function to set the resolution for the user (handy if you have a transition like "resolve as a duplicate"), OR you need to ensure that the transition screen is a screen with the resolution on it.

I like to keep things quite simple, and have a clear "resolve issue" screen which has nothing other than resolution on it to begin with.  Once I've got it right for a couple of workflows, I'll happily make copies of it so I can add fix version, assignee, rca, etc.

Suggest an answer