add fields in issue screen

Ssu chieh Li September 2, 2014

Dear All,

1.How do I add fields on Details/ People blocks (red area)

2.How do I add another big blocks like description like blue area?

2 answers

1 vote
CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2014

This isn’t something that you can configure in the Jira administration UI. It is possible, but it’s going to require some Jira customization skills.

The panels you have outlined in red are set by the system. One way to change them is to go in and edit the underlying templates and save them on your server. Another way is to move things around with Javascript after the page is rendered. I’ve done both, and I think the Javascript is easier, but it will depend on your particular skills.

Now, to add another panel is less hacky, but it still requires Jira customization skills. Basically, you want to create a Web Panel Plugin, and set the location to be “atl.jira.view.issue.left.context” with the appropriate “weight.” To find out more about this, you can start at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Web+Panel+Plugin+Module.

I don’t remember where I found the “atl.jira.view.issue.left.context” though. I don’t think its officially documented anywhere. Atlassian leaves out a lot of documentation for developers, unfortunately. That’s bad of them.

Jessy Li September 3, 2014

Hello, Cedric,

Thank you for your elabration.

One more question- Which template I should look at for modifying the ourlined in red area?

CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2014

The templates are not in the file system. They are part of the system plugin called “jira-view-issue-plugin”.

Also, you’ll probably need to modify some of the Java files as well in order to expose the data you want to the templates you will be modifying.

It’s not a simple task, unfortunately.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2014

You'll also need to add and/or amend the java that pulls fields out of the other panels - if you want field X to be placed in the people panel (and it's not a user type field already) then you'll need code as Cedric said, to get it available in that panel, AND code to supress it from where it originally appears.

And don't forget that you're going to have to maintain this, re-evaluating and possibly rewriting it on every upgrade of Jira. And if you ever need Atlassian support, they could well say "no, not until you remove it and use a supported system"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

Actually, for the "people" section, it's easy. Use custom fields of type "user picker", and the system will place them there automatically.

Frankly I wouldn't bother (and as for javascript - don't. It's a nightmare, and decent Jira admins remove all javascript whenever they can)

Suggest an answer