add custom field to comments

CV April 18, 2013

JIRA 5.2

Is it possible to add a custom field to Comments(tab)?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
CV April 18, 2013

Cool!

But I only want to show one field and a comment box, So can we create another custom button called my Edit and then show a custom field+Comments box?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2013

You'll need to write that as separate code, but yes you can do that.

Bear in mind that it will still do what "edit" does. You'll have those two fields on screen. Custom-field will be *changed* by your user, and the comment they put in *added* to the end of the comments list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2013

Oops, sorry, I forgot.

You could also put this into the workflow, without code. Create a transition from a status that loops back to the same status. Give it a transition screen. Place your customfield (and nothing else) on that transition screen. Then you'll get the same effects.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2013

No, customfields belong to issues, not comments.

You could move things around in the comments, including a customfield, but that would not stop the custom field being an issue item.

0 votes
CV April 18, 2013

Thanks Nic.

Ok at least is it possible to update an existing field value(Status/Custom Field) when adding a comment?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2013

Absolutely, although it's the other way around - you update the field value in an edit screen and you will be offered a comment box.

Suggest an answer