access Jira database through windows integrated secruity

Chenhao October 10, 2012

Currently our Jira instance is configured to run as an windows services and access MS SQL database through a SQL server authentication. Therefore,the login user name and password are stored in dbconfig.xml file.

Is there a way we can access MS SQL database through windows integrated security? By that means, I want to access database by the account that is running Jira windows service and we no longer store the username and password in the dbconfig.xml file.

I was searching documentations online but did not really find an official version for it. I am not sure whether there is one.

Could you please point me the right direction ?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2014

Hi there!

It seems that a KB was created recently for confluence regarding this functionality. I believe that JIRA will use the same steps in dbconfig.xml file, but you will need to store the domain username and password in the dbconfig file though.

1. Shutdown Confluence

Icon

Make sure the MyUser service account have all the proper permissions to access Confluence database.

2. Edit the <Confluence Home>\confluence.cfg.xml file.
  3. Search for the following:

<property name="hibernate.connection.password">DbUserPass</property>
    <property name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/dummy;</property>
    <property name="hibernate.connection.username">DatabaseUser</property>
  4. Upload the ";domain=MyDomain" at the end of the connection URL, the "MyUser" login in the connection username and the user pass in connection password. It will look like the following:

<property name="hibernate.connection.password">MyUserPassword</property>
    <property name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/dummy;domain=MyDomain</property>
    <property name="hibernate.connection.username">MyUser</property>
  5. Save the file.

6. Start Confluence.

This should do the trick.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

1 vote
Deividi Luvison
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

Hey Chenhao,

In case you want to use SSO and avoid storing the service account password in the config.cfg.xml file you can follow this guide as well :).

Thanks and Regards,
David|Atlassian Support

0 votes
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2016

According to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25791, it seemed that the method does not work for JIRA. It only works for Confluence and Crowd

Suggest an answer