Zephyr ofr Jira: Switching Projects while creating a Test

K August 9, 2013

Using Zephyr for Jira V1.7

When attempting to create tests, I've noticed that the Project Field during a "Create Issue" is static.

The only way to switch a project would be to go to the Projects tab, select the appropriate project.

Then ... you lose your info.

Example:

Yet, when you change projects, you lose everything you typed.

Is there an alternate way to change Projects that I have overlooked?

If this is the ONLY way, this might cause an issue for us long term.

Our engineering manager would like to move forward with Jira + Zephyr plugin to transfer all of our current product QA tests to this (thus we would end up with about 30 Projects just dedicated to Hardware product tests).

But I would like to make sure I don't create a scenario where I have started working on a Test for Project Alpha, when I realize I need it in Project Beta, thus losing all my entries.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
K August 15, 2013

Hi Emily,

Got the answer I needed over Gotomeeting with one of you.

I was correct, the user CANNOT switch prjects if they simply uses the Tests >> Create Test.

That creates an "issue" specifically in the last project you accessed in the Projects drop down. (Indicated with the "Current Project" view. Whatever you see there, is your current project.")

Now ... as pointed out by Chris

With the Zephyr for Jira plug in, I CAN change it.

I just needed to go Issues >> Create Issue

There is the ability to change projects there.

... sadly a case of I was looking in the wrong spot.

Thank you.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Hi Kyle,

Myself and Chris (both Zephyr employees) are unable to replicate the issues you are seeing. I am using Firefox V 22.0 and Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m. Chris is using the same versions.

Are you seeing the same issues in Chrome and IE as well? Or is Zephyr for JIRA working properly in other browsers besides Firefox?

Lastly, the next step would be for us to get on a goto meeting with you. This way you can show us what it is you are seeing. If you are intrested in doing this please send an email to 'support (at) getzephyr (dot) com'. You can reference this email thread in the email by providing the link in the email.

Kind Regards,

Emily

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2013

Hi Kyle,

Could you help me out in understanding your situation a little more?

What screen are you talking about here?

Is it the Create Issue screen (where you see things like Project Pulldown, Component pulldown, Version pulldown) or the next screen after you click create. This next screen is where you can add test steps, and it's called the Issue Screen.

What field of information are you losing?

If you switch projects, what do you lose? Is it the selected item in Component? Is it what you have typed into the description field? What have you lost exactly?

Kind Regards,
Chris

K August 11, 2013

To summarize

1) Test >> Create Test (Apparently my screenshot didn't take ...

You are right, when I say to "Create Test", it then filters to a "Create Issue" (which the logic of the naming doesn't fit for what I'd like to do as 'create issue' would work for a new bug, not a formal test ... but anyways))

2) Start typing info into all fields

3) You see Project Name is a diff project

4) Go to Projects drop down selection

5) Select new/correct project

6) All fields of information are lost when I'm using Firefox (current V22.0) when I backtrack to the Projects drop down selection and try to recreate the test I had just started

Suggest an answer