Zephyr for Jira, migration to OnDemand and Zephyr Enterprise

Nils-Petter Nilsen January 3, 2013

We're currently evaluating Atlassian's OnDemand solutions, and it has mostly been a positive experience. I really though we were home free until I realized that our testers are using Zephyr for Jira extensively, in our current on premises version of Jira.

There's a lot of documentation on the three different Zephyr versions, and how the one we use isn't supported in Jira OnDemand. There are also a lot of questions about when Zephyr for Jira will be supported in Jira OnDemand, though I have not yet seen a good answer.

But my question, which I have not seen before, is this: knowing that Zephyr for Jira is not an option for Jira OnDemand, is it possible to move all the Zephyr data created in our on-premises version of Jira with Zephyr for Jira, to Zephyr Enterprise, or would we have to recreate all our test cases manually?

Just to be clear, we don't really want to move to Zephyr Enterprise, it just seems to be the only option. I must say this discovery is a big disappointment, and it's likely to be the one thing preventing our planned cloud move from happening.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2013

Hi Nils,

I have been doing some research into this issue for you and it seems that if you have the latest version of the Zephyr for JIRA plugin then you can export the data to .CSV format and then you will be able to import it into Zephyr Enterprise. However, I'm sorry to say that the latest plugin, (the one that allows you to export your data), is only compatible from Jira 5.1 upwards so it may be necessary for you to upgrade your JIRA instance first. However, you can find the latest version of the plugin here and you can find a guide to importing data into Zephyr, (which hopefully covers Zephyr Enterprise), here.

All the best,
John

0 votes
Nils-Petter Nilsen January 8, 2013

Small update: We had to make a decision, and the benefits of OnDemand outweigh the lack of ZFJ support. Our testers are evaluating ZEE and we'll probably end up using the ZEE connector in Jira. Either way, we've made the move to OnDemand, and even though I'm still disappointed by the missing support for ZFJ I believe we did the right thing.

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2013

Hi Nils,

Can you help us understand the migration you are going to need to make? For example, how many testcases do you want to move from ZFJ to ZEE? What is your timeline? Have you done an evaluation of ZEE?

Please email us at support at getzephyr dot com and we'll take it from there.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Nils-Petter Nilsen January 8, 2013

I've left it to our QA team to figure out how to use Zephyr in the future. With Jira OnDemand up and running, they'll try to move the test cases from our old Jira instance into a ZEE instance.

Suggest an answer