Zephyr for Jira: how to change order of test cases

Klara October 17, 2013

Hi, I'm just trying to create my projects and test cases in Zephyr for Jira. Is there any way how to change order of test cases in test cycle? Order is by Jira ID. What if I want to add some new test case? Is there any way how to do it? Thanks

30 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2013

Hi Klara,

Currently there is not a way to re order the test cases in the cycle. However, you can add and remove test cases from a test cycle at any time. To add test cases to a test cycle click on the gear to the right of the test cycle and selec "Add Tests". You can also remove a test case from a cycle by clicking the little trash can to the right of the test case. This only removes the test case from the cycle and does not delete the test case itself.

Kind Regards,

Emily

AJ Cox Rudolph October 7, 2016

Is this still not a feature? We are just getting started with Zephyr and we really need this reordering.

Like Jessica Sullivan likes this
Chris Schroeder January 4, 2017

Klara, 

I see that this is still not a feature for the cloud version. I'm in the process of converting my test cases over from test lodge. which is a basic tool, that has the ability to reorder test cases within a test run.

The proposed work around does't work, meaning it negates the advantage of putting test cases into test runs and still doesn't allow me to set the correct order still.

Please add this ASAP!

Like Jessica Sullivan likes this
Chris June 22, 2020

I also need this feature... please add this!

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 13, 2021

I have also just started using zephyr and really need this feature. TFS has it in it's Test Plan extension. I am very surprised that Zephyr doesn't have it... Please add it

Like # people like this
Adelaide Santos Junior February 9, 2021

Is this still not added? 2013 - 2021???

Like Sho Hiraoka likes this
16 votes
Anaïk Trihoreau November 7, 2013

I confirm, this is a cruelly missing feature.

8 votes
Estevan Hernandez June 12, 2019

This would drastically improve quality of life and productivity for my team, can this be implemented ASAP?

6 votes
Emre Cosar January 30, 2017

Still no solution to this? unbelievable, guess we need to switch to another tool

5 votes
Marcus Mangelsdorf August 20, 2018

2018 and still no custom order?

3 votes
Deleted user November 19, 2016

Any updates on the problem, could you please update us, is it planned to add ability to order test cases this, next year, or Zephyr does not plan to add the feature at all?

3 votes
Mandy Duvall August 16, 2016

This is seriously disappointing. I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed yet.

2 votes
Nikola Milikic August 28, 2018

Why is this issue marked as solved when it is not solved? This is a basic feature one would expect from this kind of a tool.

2 votes
Damian Burger November 11, 2015

Also agree this is basic feature required for a test management tool

2 votes
Le Nguyen October 28, 2015

When is feature reorder test cases in a test cycle available?

2 votes
Morena Carvalho May 13, 2014

This is a shocking lack of functionality. If you are going to execute a cycle, obvisouly you'll need to follow a certain order. I'm trying to push a Zephyr workflow to the group I work with but this is a real stopper.

1 vote
Lihi Martin January 3, 2021

Hey Im using Zephyer for a long time, and I don't understand why sorting is still not implemented.
without this feature, we have a mass in the test order, which makes it very hard to work!
I tried even to add my own field but it doesn't work as well.
very frustrating!!!  

1 vote
Stephen Warner July 29, 2020

It would be nice to have a simple Drag & Drop feature to move testcases around but the easiest way I know to move a testcase is to:

Select the testcase and clone it

In the clone dialog, select where you wish to place the cloned testcase

Modify the cloned testcase to get rid of any CLONE strings

Delete the original testcase

1 vote
Nicolai Lindholm October 26, 2015

+1

Agree, a basic functionality where you want to execute the test in a sequence. This would be a "in my view" a fairly quick turnaround...

Suggestion:

• Can you create a new automatically added field which would get updated in the sequence you drag&Drop the test cases in? (The same way as you can order test steps within a test case). This would solve it

1 vote
Fiona Maher September 11, 2015

Has there been any progress on this?  We badly need to re-order tests as well.

1 vote
Dennis Hestbech November 30, 2014

I'd like to also 'vote' for a solution to execution order.

The main reason for this, is my wish to add a kind of Setup(), Teardown() functionality for each test cycle - just like all major unit testing frameworks; when a test class is instantiated, the setup() method is invoked before any test method of the class, and finally, the teardown() method is invoked.

But, like some of the above, I'd like to stress the fact, that cloning a test cycle for a new version to test, should of course keep the ordering of the test cases.

1 vote
Heather Derringer April 3, 2014

RESOLUTION:

Okay folks, I've figured this all out. After many headaches.
This is how to order tests correctly using the Zephyr plug in for JIRA.

STEP 1: You will need to add numbers in the beginning of the Test Summary on each test. So let's say you have 100 tests. You will use the following number convention:

001, 002, 003, ....021, 022, .....100

If you have 1,000 plus tests, you will have to add an additional zero to the front of the test summary.

STEP 2: Tests > Search Test Executions >

cycleName = "YOUR PROJECT NAME" ORDER BY summary ASC

Save as: "YOUR PROJECT NAME" Regression Suite (for example) you can name it whatever you want.

STEP 3: Tests > Manage Execution Filters >

Click on "YOUR PROJECT NAME" that you just saved.

This will display all your tests now.

OMG..............THEY ARE NOT IN ORDER STILL. I know, I know........

STEP 4: You have to have ADMIN rights for this part or you'll have to contact your administrator for this piece.

Admin > Add-ons > Under Zepher for JIRA > General Configuration > Click the Re-Index button

STEP 5: Your tests are NOW IN ORDER.

NOW send me a shot out and tell me thank you and that you love me.

1 vote
Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

When will this be available? It is very important to be able to reorder the test cases within a test cycle. I can click on ID or Status and re-order them but I either need to be able to click on Summary and re-order them or manually move them into the order I need.

Thank you.

0 votes
Stephen Lee January 3, 2021

There are a lot of simple functions that Zephyr is missing and it's very frustrating. SmartBear has been pretty active with making improvements but Zephyr still needs a lot more love. They have a Trello board where users can suggest improvements and/or vote on current suggestions. My organization uses Jira Server so this is the board I monitor - https://trello.com/b/awC51iQh/zephyr-for-jira-server. Some where on SmartBear they do have a roadmap of features being worked on though I don't currently recall where that is.

0 votes
Shikhar Sharma March 2, 2020

As per current functionality, you can only sort test cases by clicking on the ID or Status column. (ascending/Descending).

0 votes
Nikita Ratkevich October 7, 2017

Это п...ц, ребята.. Просто п...ц. За 4 года они не могут внедрить простую фичу...

Жаль, что много заказчиков пользуется Зефиром. Есть хорошие бесплатные аналоги для тест дизайна с привязкой к джире. Вопрос, как их переманить? Если уже купили зефир... Удалять тесты и добавлять заново чтобы всунуть тест - это курам на смех (с) Миссия Серенити

0 votes
rsud October 9, 2014

We're battling with the same problem. We have a custom JIRA field called 'Test Case Priority'. Now, in an execution cycle, if I want to order execution of test cases sorted by descending order of 'Test Case Priority', there is no way to do this.

Sherry McKee August 26, 2019

Seriously.. 2019 and still not available to order. Can't order in the columns. Stinking frustrating!

0 votes
Bastian Erdnuess September 19, 2014

Unfortunately the order also does not survive when one clones the test cycle.  It would be nice since some test cycles often apply to the next release again.

0 votes
darcfinn September 15, 2014

Hi @Emily Schneider,

I can't see the option to do any kind of ordering from the "Search Test Executions" navigator. It is merely a list of test executions.

Instead I was making use of the "Reorder Executions" function that was introduced in the latest plugin update, version 2.5.1. We have a BIG problem with this function, as it is only giving us the option to order max 200 test executions. We have cases with more than 200, and I see no option to increase this number.

How can we order more than 200 executions?

Best Regards,

Dagfinn Rosnes, Tieto

Deleted user August 28, 2017

Hello @darcfinn,

I have the same problem. Could you please let me know if you were able to get this resolved.

Thank you

Rupinder Grewal

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2014

Hi Morena,

If you search for the cycle you want to execute in Search Test Executions navigator, you can then order the tests in the cycle. Then you can go through and execute that cycle right from the Search Test Executioons navigator. What specific order are you looking to have your tests in within the cycle?

Kind Regards,

Emily

Bastian Erdnuess September 19, 2014

Hi Emily, it's the specific order in which the tests have to be executed. It is really an order and not a sorting! You cannot first make a step forward and then stand up. It must be the other way around. Doing something on a computer program changes its state and each test needs a certain state when execution starts. It would be totaly rediculus to start every test with "1) Switch on the light. 2) Sit down on the computer. 3) Switch the computer on. 4) Do something. 5) ... 132) Switch off the compter. 133) Switch off the light." and then start over with the next test from scatch. I design the test in an order that make it easy for an tester to execute them. Sometimes one test sets up a certain state---e.g. loads a specific file or starts a certain mode---the next two tests utilize this specific state and the next test resets the state back to normal. Putting all this steps in one big test case makes in hard to manage it and impossible to link tests in a meaningful way to requiriments. Even if I'm not dependent on a specific state for a test I order them in a way that the tester tests functionality in an order that reflects the accessability on the GUI application, e.g. I test the funcionality reachable by one menu or by one toolbar in order. That's the order in which the test ARE and it would be great to have that reflected in the software. As others already told, test case order is a very basic an crucial reqirement on a test management software.

Like Estevan Hernandez likes this
0 votes
Alejandro Marcos April 28, 2014

We use the labels to identify functionalities under test, so sort by label is a must in our testing process. I hope you include this improvement in future versions.

thanks

Alex,

Suggest an answer