Zephyr for JIRA: (spaces) in Fields causing error from XML view

Chad March 27, 2013

We are using Zephyr for JIRA to help document test cases. Our test data is always changing as our database is refreashed and masked periodically, therefore we want to enter SQL into the Test Data field of a Zephyr Test Step. However, when viewing the issue as XML or as a feed in Confluence, the XML is invalid. Doesn't seem like Zephyr is appropriately scrubbing the spaces like other JIRA Fields.

For example, here is SQL that we like to put in the Test Data section of a Step...

SELECT
    a.column1
FROM
    tableA a
WHERE
    a.column1 > 5;

Where the indentions are spaces.

When viewing this issue in JIRA, no issue. However, when viewing the issue in XML format an error is displayed. Error states:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 77 at column 7: Entity 'nbsp' not defined

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

When you look at the source for the issue in XML format you see that the spaces are all represented (as  ), which apears to be the issue for valid XML.

<step>
  <orderId>2</orderId>
  <step>step with tabs</step>
  <data>SELECT<br/>
    a.column1<br/>
FROM<br/>
    tableA a<br/>
WHERE<br/>
    a.column1 > 5;<br/>
  </data>
  <result>Should work</result>
</step>	

When trying then to view this issue or a filter with this issue in Confluence, it fails since the XML appears to be invalid. This blocks the ability to feed issues, specifically for Confluence.

Options: Could Zephyr fields be JIRA wiki field an scrub spaces better? (might have other advantages than just a plain field.

Any input or help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chad July 9, 2013

Upgraded to Zephyr for JIRA 1.7.3.1043 and issue is resolved.

<step>
	<orderId>1</orderId>
	<step><![CDATA[ step with spaces ]]></step>
	<data><![CDATA[ SELECT
    a.column1
FROM
    tableA a
WHERE
    a.column1 > 5;
 ]]></data>
	<result><![CDATA[ Should work ]]></result>
</step>	

Also, Zephyr for JIRA - Release Notes provide a high level description of the features/bugs resolved (not quite as "Open Company, No Bullshit" as Atlassian, but some insight).

Thank you to @Chirs Miller for your quick response and your team for providing a resolution!

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

Cheers - The Zephyr Team.

0 votes
Tim Stavenger April 16, 2013

I've been in contact with Zephyr support on the same issue. I was told by one of their representatives, Emily Schneider, that "the issue you are running into is currently a bug. It will however be solved in Zephyr for JIRA 1.7. This will be released very soon; within the month."

Chad April 16, 2013

Sorry Tim. 1.7 looks to be the next release. I had JIRA 6.0 on the brain! :)

Thanks!

Chad April 16, 2013

Hi Tim - Thanks for the response, much appreciated. Did you mean 1.6 or 1.7?

Tim Stavenger April 16, 2013

Yeah, Zephyr for JIRA 1.6 is current, I believe the next version is 1.7. At least that is what I've been told :)

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

Hi Chad,

I'm watching the issue ticket in our JIRA and will work to keep you informed.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Jessica Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2013

Where can we find information on what will be included in 1.7 and when it will be released?

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

Hi Chad,

Our dev team is looking at your notes. We'll get back to you soon.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2013

We've filed a defect on this and hope to have it resolved in a coming release.

Chad Krogstad April 8, 2013

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. I look forward to the fix. Can we expect a follow-up on this question when the fix is ready?

Thank you,

Chad

Suggest an answer