Zephyr for JIRA Attachment Comments

Brad Roudebush January 12, 2014

When adding an attachment to a test execution I can add comments. Where can these comments for the attachments be viewed?

We are on version 2.1.0.1459 for Zephyr and 6.1.4 for JIRA.

Thank you in advance!!

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

Hello,

Currently, in order to see the comment of an entire test execution, not just the step, you will need to export from the Test Cycle itself. To do this, click the gear to the right of the cycle containing the execution you want to export. Once you do, click "Export Tests".

The reason for this is because when you create a test case and you add it to a test cycle for execution, this is just one execution instance of the test case. You can add the same test case to many different test cycles which is how you are able to execute the same test case accross multiple builds/environments.

I did speak with our team and they said they will take a look into allowing the comment of the test execution to also be exported from the Search Test Executions screen.

As for attachments, attachments can only be viewed from the execution screen. They can not be exported or viewed in any other location.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Patrick Clough October 1, 2015

Hi Emily - is there ANY way to get an export or report which includes attachments? Any sort of REST call or anything of the sort? Also, are there any plans on the horizon to include attachments in the current reporting schema? This is important to us as we use ZfJ for validation testing which requires us to have a e-signed .pdf copy of all test executions for posterity (CYA) should we be audited. Thanks!

K Bowen February 16, 2018

I am also required to included a report of attachments (screenshots) related to test executions for validation purposes. Is there any way to export the actual files related to a test execution? 

Like K Bowen likes this
Arunkumar November 26, 2019

I am also facing the same issue. I required to included the report of attachments (screenshots) related to test executions for validation purposes. I there any way to export from zephyr. Currently is there any third party tool available to this function?

1 vote
Mani April 21, 2020

When you click on E under test executions i can see the attachments but i would like to know which table those details are stored in the DB. We would like to report whether for that test issue whether there are any test executions happened and also whether the user attached any document about that execution results...

1 vote
Rich Cloutier December 5, 2016

This is an old post, but for those who come here looking for answers, like I did, here's how to view details of test executions without exporting anything:

1. From the test menu, select "Search Test Executions"
  2. Search for your desired execution by using a predefined filter on the left, or typing a search query
  3. To the right of the search box, click the "Views" button (defaults to hamburger icon)
  4. Select "Detail View"
  5. You will now be able to see your execution results in the right pane. You can see the status of each step, the execution comments, and all attachments for the execution.
  6. Mouse over the attachment link to see any comments entered when the attachment was uploaded.

Mark Lapierre June 8, 2018

These steps still don't allow me to see attachment comments. When I mouse over the attachment link I only see the attachment filename:

image.png

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2018

@Mark Lapierre  You may want to get in touch with Zephyr Support instead you know Mark. They maybe able to better understand the behaviour of Zephyr .

Andrew Califano April 25, 2019

@Mark Lapierre Did you ever get an answer? I'm experiencing the same problem. Thanks

Vasavi Kakkat July 12, 2019

I have no trouble in seeing the attachment and the comment in the test step level. Thank you Rich for the steps!

1 vote
David Galloway February 12, 2014

Hi Emily - Nope - not quite on the same page here!

Yes I can see the attachments, but I can't see the comments with the attachments. I can see comments for the test, and for the execution, but I can't see the comments that are related to the attachments. THe only visible data is the an attachment logo corresponding to the file type, the attachment d/l link, file size, and time.

No field for the attachment comments that were entered while uploading the attachment. We're using Zephyr 2.1 and Jira 6.1.4.

(Could I send you a screenshot directly so that no confidential info is broadcast!?)

Kind Regards,

Dave

1 vote
David Galloway February 12, 2014

Hi Emily,

I don't think this answers the question that Brad was originally asking - you can add an attachment with a comment to a test execution at the test or step level. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to view the comment for the attachment anywhere. This would be really useful, or at least the commment field should be removed if the informsation can't be viewed anywhere!

Kind Regards,

Dave

0 votes
Al DeLosSantos May 24, 2019

This still appears to be an issue in Zephyr for JIRA 4.0.2

0 votes
David Galloway February 13, 2014

Email is winging its way to you now!

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2014

Hi David,

Sure. Shoot us an email to support(at)getzephyr(dot)com.

Kind Regards,

Emily

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2014

Hi David,

This is correct. We have the ability to add an attachment at three levels. The Test Case level, the execution level and the test step level. The only way to see execution attachments is to open the execution itself to view it.

Currently the best way to easily access an attachment at the execution level is to go to the test case itself. Once in the test case below test details is a section called Test Executions. This will list all of the cycles that your test case belongs too, what its execution status is and so on. From here you can actually click E (execute) to see any comments or attachments about the execution status of the test in the cycle it is in.

Kind Regards,

Emily

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2014

Hello,

To view the Comments of a test step, you will need to view the comments in the Execution screen directly. By clicking the E next to the test case, you will end up in the Executions screen and will be able to see the test step comments.

You can also view the comments of a test step when you export out the executon status of the test from the Search Test Executions navigator. For example, do a ZQL to search for the test execution you want to export. Export it out to an Excel file. In the excel file, you will see any comments about the test step next to the test step and its execution status.

The same rules apply when retrieving a comment on a Test Case execution, not just a test step.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Brad Roudebush January 12, 2014

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your quick response.

You are correct, when I export the tests from the Search Test Executions navigator I can see the comments that were entered for each test step.

I do not see the comments that were added:

• Under the "Test Execution" section
  • When attaching an attachment

Are these visible anywhere or will it be added in a future release?

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer