Zephyr VS Adaptavist Test management tool in JIRA

Gayathri Devi December 7, 2017

Can some one share me the Pros and Cons of Zephyr VS Adaptavist Test management tool.

4 answers

2 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Hi,

The plugins are quite different and bringing different features in different look and feels. In my opinion the best approach would be to test both in a dev environment and onboard your testing teams to get their feedback on what's most convenient for them to use.

Pricing might also be a different approach if your budget is limited.

I can tell you that both are well known plugins in the market and are well maintained.

In addition, I don,t want to add more confusion, but there's Xray which is well known and widely used if you want to look at it as well!

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks for reply

can u list me Pros and Cons of both ones which will be easy for me to get through.

I will have to choose one between Zephyr and Adaptavist Test management tool for JIRA

1 vote
Wilson Jose September 9, 2019

Comparisson.PNG

Mark Bentsen November 8, 2019

My results are a bit different. This image is a comparative analysis based on documentation on the web. Part of my analysis was based on going through the reviews from users on the Marketplace so as to not only use the marketing materials from the vendors. (Updated data in image)

Test-Mgmt.gif

We use Xray, have had a long history with QC and recently conducted a pilot of qTest (QC and qTest are 'stand alone' and are not integrated directly with Jira). Several members of our team really like Xray. Limitations I see are its reports and that you must purchase Xporter to bulk export tests.

If any data in the image is incorrect, please comment and provide source material so I can update this for the community.

Like Steven Colón likes this
Steven Colón
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 12, 2019

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing your comparison information. I’m sure it will be useful to others looking to incorporate Test Management into Jira.

I would like to provide a few updates to the Zephyr for Jira section since our Product Development has ramped up lately and will continue to provide improvements based on feedback we hear.

Just as a disclaimer, I am the Atlassian Ecosystem Manager for SmartBear (We acquired Zephyr a year ago).

SmartBear has been working to strengthen our support offering for our Zephyr users. This is an ongoing initiative that is seeing some positive results. While I don’t have any direct numbers to share, here is a recent review that showcases this change. Purely anecdotal but we are excited about this shift.

SmartBear has invested in BDD by acquiring Cucumber, the popular BDD tool. We plan to continue to support that open source community. To increase our offering within Jira, we have released Cucumber for Jira. It facilitates collaboration by integrating with feature files created in BitBucket, GitHub, or GitLab and syncing them directly into Jira. These then can be linked to Jira issues. Cucumber for Jira integrates with Zephyr for Jira to provide a Gherkin Syntax Editor and the ability to implement feature files from Zephyr tests and sync them to Jira as work continues.

SmartBear has worked to improve how Zephyr for Jira supports Test Automation wherever it may come from.

We released our Zephyr REST API (ZAPI) to be free of charge. ZAPI will be integrated with Zephyr so you don’t have to download an extra add-on.

SmartBear provides top of the line tools for both UI and API test automation covering functional and performance tests. We’ve developed product integrations directly into Zephyr for Jira so test results can be synced with Jira. More information here.

In our latest update to Zephyr for Jira Cloud, we have released A.T.O.M (Automated Test results Organizer & Manager) that provides users with a native integration with the following report formats/tools; Selenium, Cucumber, Junit, SoapUI, TestNG. It supports manual report imports or importing from remote machines.

You can learn more from our community post about it.

Thank you, again, for sharing your comparison information, and for your time today in reading about some of our latest updates.

Mark Bentsen November 12, 2019

Thank you for these details. The following link has a comparison where it depicts Zephyr as not having a REST API and not supporting BDD. Are there other areas where this data from Xray is not valid?

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2017

I am obviously heavily biased here, because I work for Adaptavist.  I have used both Zephyr and ATM in the past, and continue to use ATM with some clients.

Mickey is completely right about the approach - it doesn't matter how much I were to tell you "ATM is the best", that would not really help you decide.  You need to look for yourself - which product fits your desired processes and reporting best?

I would evaluate all the big names in the Testing category for Jira to find the closest match.

And now, the Adaptavist ATM spiel.  There is one big difference between ATM and most of the other test case managers.  ATM does not try to use Jira issues to hold test cases directly.  This has freed up the developers to work outside the limits of issues, giving them the freedom to do some stuff Zephyr does not do, including

• Heirarchical test case folders
  • Shared steps
  • Versioning of test cases
  • Test case parameterisation
  • Advanced traceability between cases, requirements, plans and runs
  • A dedicated REST API

I am sure one of our sales people will tell me off for missing things off that list.

Gayathri Devi December 10, 2017

thanks for the reply.

I have worked in both Zephyr and ATM, and hopefully we will decide one.

Deepak Agrawal May 1, 2018

Hello Gayatri,

We are faced with the same question in our organisation at the moment. We are planning to use Jira as the ONE tool as are in search of a suitable test management plugin to use together with Jira.

Would be helpful if you can share your experience of the evaluation and the tool that you zeroed in on eventually?

Regards,

Deepak

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2018

Hi Deepak,

If you are looking for a Test & Requirement management Jira add-on, it may worth to take just 3 mins to have a look at synapseRT Jira-on, you can find a overview introduction video from: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.go2group.jira.plugin.synapse/server/overview

Compare the different tools to choose the correct one from them!

Regards,

Cheney

Bob April 17, 2019

Hi Nic,

is it possible to link several test cases of the same test version and attach some conditions to their statuses (re workflow) e.g. test case 3 is depending on test case 1 and 2 to be passed successfully. Once those two are set to 'Pass', test case 3's status will automatically be changed to 'ready for testing' and the assignee of test case 3 will be informed via email?

JIRA on its own can handle that but I've had the experience that add-ons missed out on those features such as in Zephyr. Or there are add-ons for JIRA that add automated conditional changes within JIRA issues but never target the add-ons' test cases.

0 votes
Radwa Omar July 4, 2018

Hello everybody,

It would be nice to list pros. and cons. of the tools you mentioned here, as I'm facing same situation with my team and have to choose a JIRA friendly testing tool in a short time.

Please if you have any advice share it here...

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2018

Hi Radwa,

Choosing the right Test Management add-on is important. Maybe you should request demos from the different editors in order to compare their products and challenge them based on your own needs and use cases. Even better, you can get free trials for all of them, if you have a bit more time to invest!

Solutions are evolving quickly and even if there were comparisons (like this one), you have the risk to have them biased or or not up to date.

Good luck for your research!

David

Radwa Omar July 5, 2018

Hi David,

Thanks for replying. I've read most of the products details, but to take a decision it is always better to hear from other team experience, even if it is biased, I could get use of it. 

The comparison you've mentioned is really useful, I searched for more like it.

Thanks again...

Radwa

Suggest an answer