Zephyr Test Case Time Estimates do not roll up to JIRA story estimates

Eugene Konneh January 19, 2018

I have set up a project using JIRA with the aim of having time estimates from sub-tasks and test cases roll-up to constitute story estimates.

The effort estimates from the sub-tasks do roll up. However, those from the test cases (Which are scripted using Zephyr) do not roll up.

The test cases have been linked to the stories using a 'relates to ' relationship.
I have checked documentation available to me but still unable to resolve this.

Have I adopted the right approach?

Should time-estimates rollup from zephyr test cases onto story estimates?
If YES, how should I configure this to achieve this result?

Thanks for your assistance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Hey Eugene,

Estimates on Tests won't roll up to Stories as they are on the same level of the JIRA hierarchy.

I would suggest placing an Epic over the Stories and Tests you want to group together to have all the time estimates roll up to a single point.  You could then use the Epic report to check on how much time is remaining.

If you don't want to use Epics you could create releases and tie your related Stories and Tests to the same release.  You could then use release reports to check how much time is remaining.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Eugene Konneh January 19, 2018

Hey Tyler

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. I now know better and will implement one of the above suggestions to get the required outcome..

Kind Regards,

Eugene

Suggest an answer