Your Java version is out of date

Kyle Mitofsky April 23, 2015

When a user accesses the JIRA site they get a Java Update warning:

JavaUpdateNeeded.png

Obviously, to prevent that warning they just need to update Java.

My question is how can I tell what the Client side Java application, and is possible to disable those features so that we don't have to have every user install or update Java just to roll out the site?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2015

I don't believe there is a way to tell the client side version from inside JIRA. It is probably impossible to determine which, if any feature would work and if any did work it would vary depending on which version they had. You just need to let everyone who wants to use JIRA to be on a certain level of Java. If you're dealing with a standardized image pushed out you'll have to work with the IT department to get everyone upgraded.

0 votes
cipsoftware October 27, 2015

We also ran into this warning and after a search trough the JIRA installation we found the 'culprit'. There is an applet to attach screenshots to an issue.

This applet is necessary for older browsers, see: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36522

I think the requirements need to be updated. Also the feature detection might require some work, the java update warning also appears on IE11.

2015-10-27 12_41_48-JIRA applet warning.png

0 votes
jose_castro April 23, 2015

@Kyle Mitofsky Hmm Java 6.4 is only required to be installed server side. Browser/Client side the only thing that needs to be enabled is Java script. For the initial features. See here for JIRA Requirements. What version of JIRA are you running? There some features that might be calling on local copy of JAVA there isn't a version requirement. The screenshot built in plugin for instance. Just to be on the safe side Java 7 or 8 should work. 

Suggest an answer