You're processes around JIRA projects?

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2016

Hey guys,

We've been using JIRA for over a year now at our company. I've entered the company 3 months ago as JIRA administrator. I was completely new to JIRA when i started but i feel like i've set it up pretty nicely now. To keep it that way in the future i was wondering; what is your current process for a new project request? I feel like there are currently a lot of requests from all departments in the office for new projects that are incomplete, unauthorized or just completely unnecessary. So my questions:

• At your company, who can request a new project?
  • What info do you request at minimum?
  • What are your minimal requirements for a new project?
  • When you do set up a new project, do you have something like a checklist you follow?

1 answer

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2016

We request:

• Name
  • Description (optional)
  • project lead
  • category

We also use buillt-in script "copy project" provided Script Runner plugin. All schemas are the same into project category.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2016

So you decide what their workflow is? And their issuetypes and such?

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2016

We have several project categories and all projects in this has the same schemes (workflow, issue types and ets) and fillig of project roles. When we copy project all schemas and roles are copied too. Now we have 1000+ projects.

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2016

I would reccomed to create some project with predefined schemas and base fill of project roles. And then only copy it. It is bad idea to have a lot of project with different schemas.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2016

I'd also say we tend to have a "JIRA project" for handling these requests alongside any other JIRA support work that might need to go to your admins.

Suggest an answer