Xray: How to use Issue Type Mapping

Santiago Estel January 31, 2020

I am using Xray and trying to configure Issue Type Mapping.

On Issue Type Mapping I added an Service Request issue type to Requirement Issue Types, and Xray support is now displayed for each Service Request issue type.

Then, I added an Incident issue type to Defect Issue Types, and it happen that Xray support was not added to the Incident screens.

What should I do to have Xray support on my Incident issue type?

What is the detail function of Requirement Issue Types and Defect Issue Types on Issue Type Mapping configuration.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Santiago Estel January 31, 2020

Xpandit team provided me with the answer:

Often, a Defect issue type is also used as a Requirement. To assert that a Defect does not occur again, it can be also considered for testing. Xray allows the same issue type to be mapped as a Requirement and a Defect. So, a Defect can also be associated with Test issues and be considered for Requirement Coverage charts and Custom Fields. 

https://confluence.xpand-it.com/display/public/XRAY/Requirements+and+Defects

1 vote
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 11, 2020

Hi Santigo, 

Requirements and Defects are two concepts commonly related to Tests.

A Requirement represents a singular documented physical and functional need that a particular product or process must be able to perform. They are also an important input into the verification process since tests should trace back to specific requirements, showing what elements and functions are necessary for the particular project.

A Defect represents a condition in a software product that does not meet a software requirement (as stated in the requirement specifications) or end-user expectations (which may not be specified but are reasonable). It can be displayed as an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.

Requirements and Defect issues can be associated with Tests and Test Set issues with the Jira default linking mechanism. There are specific issue link types for associating these issue types:

• Requirement R "is tested by" test T (or test set TS)
  • Test T (or test set TS) "tests" requirement R
  • Defect D "is created by" test T
  • Defect D "is tested by" test T (or test set TS)
  • Test T "created" defect D
  • Test T (or test set TS) "tests" defect D

Best Regards,

Team Xray

Pablo Piccioli August 6, 2020

Hi Team Xray, I'm new to XRAY. I think the above answers my question but I would still like to put it out there.

In the test coverage mapping I add Story, Enhancement, etc.

In Defect Mapping I add Bug.

My expectation was that when I create a bug I get test coverage for it, i.e. I can link a test/test set to this bug, in other words I get the Add Tests button in the bug issue. But as Santiago mentioned for his Incident, I don't. I have to add Bug to the Test Coverage. No problems there.

My question then is what is the purpose of Defect Mapping? Is it that when I execute a test I can create a bug when a step fails?

Thank you,
Pablo

Like Venkat_S likes this
Venkat_S October 26, 2020

Hi Pablo,

Your understanding is correct !

Only those issue types are the chosen as Defect issue types in the mapping, would be allowed to be created or added from a Test execution.

Thanks,

Venkat

Suggest an answer