Wrong issue assigning

Andreas Kochsiek January 18, 2018

Hello,

using JIRA Software version 7.3.3 issues are assigned to wrong persons.

In one specific project of our JIRA instance issues are assigned in some cases to one person incorrectly. It seems that this assigning happens by the JIRA system itself.

Furthermore this assining results in no event. So the specific user does not receive any notification. Additionally this assigning is not listed in the issue history.

Thus, my question is how to fix it? Maybe it is a known issue and it is just a matter of configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

What is the trigger for this assignment?  Is it on an issue edit?  Creating the issue?  Or is it randomly happening because it's 4pm on a Tuesday (i.e. your users don't seem to be triggering it at all)

Andreas Kochsiek January 18, 2018

Thanks for Your answer.

The trigger seems randomly and the assigning is not triggered by users.

This happens when an issue already exists. This means that this action does not happen on issue creation.

Unfortunately I could not find out a scheme about how and on which conditions this assigning happens.

Therefore, I tried to interpret the issue history. But there is no entry of this action.

First I thought it was just an isolated case of one issue, but this happens at several issues at our JIRA instance now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

No, that does sound pretty random.

There is a strong clue - there is nothing in the history at all for these assignation changes.  This is actually quite hard to do and requires "cleverly" written add-ons or scripts to be making changes that they deliberately destroy the history for (you can imagine I have a very poor opinion of losing the history on an issue tracker)

Do you have any add-ons or config that might be capable of doing that?  Script Runner, Power Scripts, listeners, email handlers etc?

Andreas Kochsiek January 24, 2018

Thanks for Your answer.
You are right. This sounds random.

We do use some plugins. Script Runner is one of them. We use it for example to create and update issues automatically in the JIRA project where the assignation problem occurs.
I checked the scripts and could not find anything that may cause this effect.
Additionally, we use it to realize some listeners or JQLs.
Furthermore, we use the plugin JFS (JIRA Field Security). I know that this plugin can hide entries of an issues history.
But I can't see a relation between the assignation and the missing notification by email about this action.

Maybe there is a relation between JIRA keyboard shortcuts, the issue navigator or the issue view. Because it is for example possible that a user entered a JIRA keyboard shortcut by mistake and this triggered the assignation - but there ist still the missing email notification and the missing entry in the issue history.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

I cannot think of a way JFS would do this.  I would try disabling the add-on and checking the history again, but I do not expect that to change.  If it does not change, then it is definitely not the JFS add-on.

I think I would like to see all the scripts that update issues in that project, along with a description of where they are used.

Andreas Kochsiek January 29, 2018

We are planning to set up a new JIRA instance with an updated JIRA version.
Possibly - and we hope so - this problem will not appear anymore.

I would be glad if You give me a clue about how to avoid such an effect like a wrong issue assignment.

Suggest an answer