Wrong JVM version! You are running with java version "1.6.0_65" but JIRA requires at least 1.8 to r

Deleted user November 9, 2017

Greetings,

- I am trying to download Jira, nothing loads when I go to http://localhost:808

-I have received the following error in terminal " Wrong JVM version! You are running with java version "1.6.0_65" but JIRA requires at least 1.8 to run. "

-I have downloaded the most up to date Java version on my Mac OS X Version 10.11.6 laptop.

Anyone have any clue as to why it says I have the wrong Java version when I don't (i.e. I have 1.8 view image below ) ?????Screenshot 2017-11-09 21.42.00.pngScreenshot 2017-11-09 21.38.36.png

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello,

try

java -version 

and see what version of Java is used.

Also check that JAVA_HOME reffers to the correct java version.

Deleted user November 10, 2017

Hi Alexey,

Thank you -  you are correct I am running Java 1.60Screenshot 2017-11-10 09.36.49.pngI am having trouble though, linking the next step because under system preferences (as image states above) it states that I have the most up to date Java downloaded. Not sure how to advance from here. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

Set your JAVA_HOME variable to <JIRA_INSTALLATION_FOLDER>/jre. You can read about setting JAVA_HOME variable here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/setting-java_home-61604243.html

Deleted user November 10, 2017

Hi Alexey,

Great, will do! thank you !!

Deleted user November 11, 2017

Hi Alexey,

Sorry to bother again, but I am quite confused now. I followed the steps instructed and I thought I had it figured out, but when trying to run I know get this error Screenshot 2017-11-11 11.59.31.pngAs you can see, it is not specifying what JVM version I am running ( before it showed the oudated version.) 

- I downloaded the most up to date Java JDK, and appeared to save it to JAVA_HOME (view below) Screenshot 2017-11-11 12.02.30.pngSo not certain as to how to debug on my own because I am under the impression I have the right version of Java , it is stored correctly but the error is saying otherwise. Many thanks for all opinions.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2017

Hello,

You should not install jdk or jre on the machine where Jira server runs. Jira already has embedded JVM in the <jira_installation_dir>/jre.

You downloaded Java 1.9. Uninstall it.  Jira 7 Supports only 1.8. Here is the list of supported platforms

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/supported-platforms-749382629.html

What is in your JAVA_HOME path?

Like Ananth Nag Deval likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events