Wrong JVM version - JIRA

Conn October 24, 2016

(OpenSUSE version 42.1)

Hi,

I've downloaded JIRA and am trying to install it but it gives me the error: "Wrong JVM version! You are running with .. but JIRE requires a tleast 1.8 to run."

I download java for linux from the java website and went through the install process.

Here are the outputs of some commands, so you can see that it is installed and what path it's installed to:

Untitled.png

2Untitled.png

I'm not sure if i've got those paths pointing to the right bits, this is what those paths look like:

3Untitled.png

I tried running update-alternatives --config java and I updated the selection to point to that java installation, as it was pointed to "/usr/java/latest/bin/java", though that's made no difference.

Having changed that, the output of java version is now:

4Untitled.png

At this point I'm not even sure if it's installed properly any more, or where I went wrong.

All I can tell from the check-java.sh file is that it's not getting the response it expects from "$_RUNJAVA" -version 2>&1 | grep "java version"

I've tried running that in the terminal, but $_RUNJAVA doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to get this all working?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

A few things. Your JVM can be overwritten by JAVA_HOME, do a

echo $JAVA_HOME

This is commonly overwritten in setenv.sh/catalina.sh (which resides in the same folder as the startup/shutdown.sh script for JIRA, or in other files that might set your envirornment on the server (think /etc/profile, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc or similar)

Conn October 26, 2016

Hi,

I put a screenshot in the original post showing the result of JAVA_HOME, it's:

/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.8.0

Java is installed there, but I'm not sure the paths are necessarily pointing to the correct directories (see screenshots), as I don't really know what I'm doing, I've just been trying to follow online examples.

Suggest an answer