Wrong Active Sprint count in JIRA agile board

SUNIL SABALE January 24, 2018

I Completed Sprint 3 and created sprint 4 in my project. So now there is no active sprint. Still the acttive sprint is shown as 2. Here is the screenshot attached.

I checked that no other scrum board is running for the project and no other sprint is running.

Also I confirmed the board filter is Project specfiic filter. So, where is the problem. There are several Kanban board for same project. But I dont think Kanban and Scrum board should impact each other functionality

Here is the screenshot attached.

Untitled.png

3 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

I was not able to locate any documented bugs that would cause this specific behavior in that version or other versions.   This might be due in part to the fact that this specific set of buttons does not exist in later versions of Jira agile where you can hover over these.

However what I think might be happening a rather complex confusion.   While boards can be bound to specific projects, technically speaking sprints are not bound to projects or single boards.   That is to say a sprint can appear across multiple boards, and contain issues from multiple projects.   More details on this can be explained in Sprints shared between multiple boards.

I am not certain if this is why you are seeing this yet, but I suspect that it is possible there exists one or more sprints that might actually have been associated with an issue that matches this board's filter at one time.  One way you can have a single sprint appear on multiple boards tends to be that you have moved an issue in an existing started sprint into a new project.  If you did not remove that issue from that sprint before the move, then the sprint that issue existed in before the move will now also appear on the new board that includes that specific issue in its board filter.   The difference here is that the board filters will only show issues in that sprint that pertain to that filter.   So you could look at two different boards, they would have the same sprint name, but you might see completely different sets of issues in them.

In this method, I could see a scenario where a sprint has become linked to this board in a manner, but then there are no longer any issues in that sprint that match this board's filter.   If that happens, there should be another board/project where you can still view this open sprint.

But determining exactly what sprint/board that is on can be difficult.  You might be able to help narrow this down with a SQL query as such:

select b."ID", b."NAME" as board_name, s."NAME" as sprint_Name, s."CLOSED" as Sprint_open 
from "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" s, "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW" b where s."RAPID_VIEW_ID" = b."ID";

This is a postgresql query you can run against your Jira database just to see what sprints where created specifically on which origin board.  I took this query from https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-13265 and modified it a little bit to show us which sprints are open/closed.  The last column provides a true/false as to whether the sprint is currently open in Jira Agile.

0 votes
SUNIL SABALE January 29, 2018

Its JIRA 6.3.8 and JIRA agile 6.7.7

SUNIL SABALE January 29, 2018

And also there is no other board and sprint configured for this project

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

What version of Jira and Jira Agile is this?   I am not familiar with this specific view you posted in your screenshot, so my concern is to understand if this is something that might only be specific to an older version of Jira Agile.

The other aspect to consider is that sprints are independent of the board itself.  This means that a sprint can exist on more than one board at a time.  But it also means that there might be another sprint in this same project.  Do you have these boards existing within the same project?   What kind of board filter is being used for each board?

It is not clear to me yet if this is perhaps an older bug in Agile, or maybe this is just the way your instance is configured for that specific version.

Suggest an answer