Writing a script to copy part of parent summary to subtask summary.

Elle L. January 3, 2018

I am trying to find the best solution to do the following:

When a certain JQL condition is met, grab the first part of the parent case summary and concatenate the subtask summaries. 

Let's say:

The parent summary is "Personal Dashboard - Regression Testing"

And the subtask summaries are 

• Manual Testing
  • Automated Testing
  • Documentation

And my JQL condition is "issuetype=Story and text ~ "regression testing" "

Then, after the script is executed, I would like the summaries of the subtasks mentioned above to be updated to:

• Manual Testing - Personal Dashboard
  • Automated Testing - Personal Dashboard
  • Documentation - Personal Dashboard

I'm using Jira Cloud and so far have tried using the Automation add on but haven't had any luck. Would using Script Runner be a better option for this use case? Is there a way to do this with the Automation add on? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user January 4, 2018

Hey there Elle, 

You should be able to set the summary of your subtasks by using the String functions. (see https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AUTO4J/pages/51691794/Working+with+Strings)

You can loop over the subtasks and set the summary field of the subtask to:

{{issue.summary}} - {{issue.parent.summary.substringBefore("-")}}

Your rule should look something like:

Automation_rules_-_JIRA.png 

Let us know if that works for you!

Cheers,

Mark C

Elle L. January 5, 2018

This worked! Thanks!

jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2018

Great article! 

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

I'd encourage you to look into Scriptrunner. It'll take some coding, but I'd be surprised if Scriptrunner couldn't handle it. 

Here is some of their documentation which might be helpful. 

http://scriptrunner-docs.connect.adaptavist.com/jiracloud/script-listeners.html#_store_subtask_estimates_in_parent_issue_on_issue_events

Elle L. January 5, 2018

Thank you so much!

Suggest an answer