Would one not want to create a "Bugs" subtask type?

Viet Dao January 25, 2013

I was debating creating a subtask type called "Bugs" or even migrating "Bug" into a subtask type. I just find this interface easier when associating all bugs related to a story, as opposed to creating bugs manually and having to link one by one to the parent story. Are there any cons to this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2013
May be define it like this. Those bugs which are find during the development of the story goes as sub tasks. There will always be bugs coming after the story was developed, may be even months later, they should just be created as normal bugs. Also keep the normal level bugs open for anyone to raise an issue they find, including customers
Viet Dao January 28, 2013

I like this approach. I saw in the documentation that they had possible options for Sub-Type as "Sub-Bugs"which would be mini sub-tasks for Bugs. This allows us to classify our bug types to a main bug issue (e.g. like registration is broken) and then sub-bugs (e.g. 1) verification email not being sent 2) user can log in without verifying, etc)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2013

No cost, other than the effort needed to migrate your data.

If you find bugs work well as sub-tasks of stories, then that's the way you should do it!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2013

Sorry, I was assuming you had already got some bugs in a project that you wanted to convert to sub-tasks of stories. You'll need to migrate them to sub-tasks of their parents.

If you're starting with a new project, that's fine, there's no migration to worry about.

As Renjith points out, it might also be worth having an "issue type scheme" that has "Big Bug" at the top level, and then "Little bug" as a subtask type.

Viet Dao January 25, 2013

Thanks Nic for your help. I'm pretty new to this so could you give me an example of how it would make it harder to migrate data?

Would it affect any type of reporting or anything?

Suggest an answer