Would changing the case of username in JIRA cause system breakage

TasneemB June 27, 2017

Hi

I have a user whose username is created with the first letter being in capital and the rest small. I have a post function that copies the reporter field from parent to subtask. What is happening is sometimes this value is inserted into jira_issue table with a Capital letter and other times all small case. This brings back incorrect results from a JQL query. i.e. only brings back records where the reporter field is all smalll case.

I would like to change this username to be all small case with the hope that it would stop the above from happening.  Can I simply go into User management and change it there? Would this cause any issues in the system in terms of data, old issues, etc

Thanking you in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

Yes, changing the username to lowercase in "user management" is the best way to do it. 

I am not sure it will fix your problem, although my instincts say it will.

TasneemB June 27, 2017

Hi

Thank you for the response. Will this cause anything to break in JIRA?

What would need to be done to change all other jira issue entries where the user was recorded with the capital first letter? can I run a sql statement directly in the database? Or if I can get the issue numbers then go and manually change the reporter username there?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

Yes, changing the username to lowercase in "user management" is the best way to do it. 

JIRA doesn't use the user name directly, so you need not worry.

SQL is unquestionably the wrong approach, as you would have to be 100% certain you've not missed anything.  That's why I said changing the username to lowercase in "user management" is the best way to do it. 

Suggest an answer