Would Jira work well in Samsung Smart TV built in web browser?

Alexey P April 9, 2013

We want to display Jira (mainly GH task boards) on large screen.

Having some outdated PC capable to run browser attached to a led screen is no problem.

Some TV's these days have built-in browsers.

Anyone tried? Ideas?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2013

Actually, yes, I was tinkering with this the other day. My father-in-law's nice new Smart TV displays Jira with Greenhopper very nicely over the internet, although we ran into two minor problems:

1. Jira tends to be quite white or pale, whereas TVs are usually positioned and adjusted for watching colour rich programmes. Although it was readable and clear, we wanted to adjust the brightness and contrast on the TV when viewing it.

2. The instinct to use the knect to drag and drop the issue "cards" is very strong...

(I'd need to check, but I think his TV is a Samsung)

Alexey P April 9, 2013

can you use mouse and/or attached to TV?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2013

We didn't try that. The remote seemed to emulate tabbing between links/buttons and so-on so we could move around, and obviously a "select" behaved like a left-mouse click. Not convinced the order was as friendly as it could have been, but it was still usable.

0 votes
Ashley Lewis July 21, 2015

My biggest sticking point is screen burn in protection. I will kickin after 4 hours unless MOST of the pixels have changed in that time.

0 votes
Aruna Sathyanarayanan January 16, 2014

Hi Joanne,

We want to display our wallboards on Smart TVs. We tried it on Samsung TV (model Series 6 6400 46'') and Sony (model 46W700A). On both, it doesnt render. Instead a white screen is seen (top navigation bar and footer are displayed but no wallboards).

The wallboard was created using greenhopper plugin (same steps as explained by you in your answer above).

Can you please help?

0 votes
Aruna Sathyanarayanan January 16, 2014

Hi Joanne,

We want to display our wallboards on Smart TVs. We tried it on Samsung TV (model Series 6 6400 46'') and Sony (model 46W700A). On both, it doesnt render. Instead a white screen is seen (top navigation bar and footer are displayed but no wallboards).

The wallboard was created using greenhopper plugin (same steps as explained by you in your answer above).

Can you please help?

0 votes
Sven Breidenstein April 28, 2013

We are using an AppleTV to display a slidshow of Jira Wallboards.

You can use the Couch Surfer on an Jailbroken Apple TV:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Couch_Surfer

Also available in the aTV Flash package.

That sceanrio is also discribed here:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2011/10/using_an_appletv_as_a_build_monitor/

The problem here was the speed of the browser and the cache size.

When your slideshow intervall is to short than not all the content is displayed and the transition between two wallboards is not fluent.

We switch therefore to a MacMini and AirPlay to a Samsung TV.

0 votes
JoanneA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

We actually do this on the GreenHopper team.

We use the JIRA Wallboard plugin to display the board with a black background which looks a lot nicer. This is a free plugin available on OnDemand and for Download: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jirawallboard.atlassian-wallboard-plugin

To create something like this set up a Dashboard with the GreenHopper Wallboard Gadget, then from the Tools menu click View as Wallboard. You can also make the browser display fullscreen if you want.

To make it even cooler, the wallboard can also cycle through dashboards automatically, so you could add other supported gadgets like Days Remaining or Twitter (all the incoming GreenHopper tweets show up there too!)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2013

Yup, that plugin sprang to mind as soon as my father-in-law said "it's a bit bright". I've seen it used in a few places, although only on monitors and TVs used as monitors so far (not Smart TVs browsing to the pages)

4US April 29, 2014

Hi Joanne Cranford.

Thanks for sharing.

COuld you please tell me which TV brand are you using ?

Greg Bailey October 7, 2016

I've tried a Samsung hospitality TV but ran into a problem where the length of the JIRA wallboard URL was to long.  So I 'alias'd' it with goo.gl.  but it will not load.

anyone tried a JIRA wallboard on a samsung hospitality TV using the widget?

Suggest an answer