Working with issue UI tabs

Yoram Shahak August 29, 2015

Hi,

I am relatively new to JIRA.

I have defined a project for software development issue management in my organization, with few issue types and many custom fields.

I am working with JIRA v.6.4.2 and mostly using Chrome as my browser.

I am trying to define UI tabs to make my view/edit screens more friendly, since I have some 50-60 fields in story/bug issues.

This is most important in the edit screen where it is often desired to see all available fields.

Having defined the tabs I see them fine in the view issue screen.

However the edit window does not organize the screen into tabs. Is that a bug?

Moreover, when I click on Configure Fields, the pop-up window shows the field checkboxes organized in sections related to my defined tabs, BUT this has expanded the required UI area for the pop-up window which is static in size and has no scroll bar, so some of my fields are truncated and are not accessible. This is surely buggy behavior. I worked around it by playing with the browser resolution, decreasing the view zoom precentage so I see all the field checkboxes and am able to enable them into edit view.

Has anyome seen this? Am I missing some admin setting? Are there open bugs for this? 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2015

Sounds like you are using a different screen for "view" and "edit".  Look at the project "issue type screen scheme" to find out the "screen scheme" in use for stories and that will tell you which screens you're using.  You can then change the edit screen to have tabs.

>BUT this has expanded the required UI area for the pop-up window which is static in size and has no scroll bar, so some of my fields are truncated and are not accessible

That does sound like a bug, but it could be a browser bug, or you've got something in your config breaking it.

Yoram Shahak August 30, 2015

Thanks much Nic,

This is not the case - the same screen is used for both view and edit operations of the same issue type, and this screen scheme is mapped to this type for the project issue type screen scheme.

Same screen for edit and view operations.

As for the UI behavior of the configure fields, same behavior is seen also in Mozilla FireFox.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2015

If it's using the same screen for Edit and View and are missing fields from the edit, then you've got an addon or hack that is deliberately removing them. (If it were view, then I'd say the fields are empty, but the edit screen always shows you all the fields). You'll need to work out what that is and remove it.

Yoram Shahak August 31, 2015

Thanks again Nic. I am not missing any fields from the edit screen. It is just that there are no UI tabs - it is a long flat display of the fields, instead of them being organized into tabs as I intended.

Suggest an answer