Working with Hours in Jira

Scott Love December 11, 2019

All,

I don't want to be incendiary, but we've been considering leaving Jira for another tool. I'd like not to, and worry that the issue lies with my understanding rather than with any fault of the platform.

We're a service firm. We work in, estimate in, and bill in hours.

Using the Next Gen project style in Jira, I can't find Original Estimates or Remaining Estimate fields... and we depend on them constantly. In the current version of Jira, it's our habit to see both original estimate and remaining estimate on each card on a kanban, to update both attributes as we work on tasks (yes, at times, we modify both the original and/or remaining estimate), and we need to see remaining estimate burned down as we log work.

For us, these fields must be easy to find, easy to edit.

Do I understand rightly that the Next Gen screens don't support those features?

Or, alternatively, are these features planned for the future and I should exercise some patience?

I worry that we're no longer an ideal Atlassian customer -- because we work in this way. Should I infer that Atlassian isn't making such features a priority?

Thanks all in advance for your assistance.

-- Scott

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

Hey Scott,

please excuse the question but why are you using next-gen projects instead of classic projects in the first place if you need the estimates?

Having a look at this page which shipped and "in the works" features, estimates are labeled as "coming in 2020":

Add time estimates to your issues COMING IN 2020
Document how long you think specific issues will take to complete. This can be helpful for comparing your estimations against how long issues actually take to complete.

But nothing's said about the remaining estimate so I wouldn't include that here. Let's wait and see.

Best, Max

Scott Love December 12, 2019

Max -- we are using classic at this time; that said, the next-gen interface appeals to us and we're hoping to use it. I am concerned Atlassian will not support our use case adequately and am trying to plan ahead on tools.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Ah okay, so let's wait and see what 2020 brings to NG projects. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Suggest an answer