Workflows or ordered subtasks with multiple due dates

James Watts April 28, 2015

Hi,

Im looking to see if JIRA is something my company could use.

Our current in house system uses a single tasks with a workflow, during which there are 3/4 dates that need to be met at various stages in the workflow.

ie

Task1 (task type - New Customer Investigation) - Due date 15/1/15

• Step1 - Due 1/1/15
  • Step2 - Due 5/1/15
  • Step3 - Due 10/1/15
Can this be done in JIRA by using workflow or would subtasks work better?
If subtasks, then can template tasks be setup so that when you create Task1 with a due date, it knows its a new customer investigation and will create the necessary subtasks and automatically caluclate the dates based on rules?
ie
Task1 (task type - New Customer Investigation) - Due date 15/1/15
  • Step1 (Due date = Parent task due date - 15 days)
  • Step2 (Due date = Parent task due date - 10 days)
  • Step3 (Due date = Parent task due date - 5 days)

The reason for this is there are hundreds of tasks each week and to manually have to put in all the sub tasks with the correct due dates would be impossible.

Many thanks,

James

2 answers

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2015

Well, if you have multiple subtasks you need to create on a regular basis depending on the type of parent issue, i suggest you use the Quick Subtasks plugin. It supports dynamic due dates like you need.

This type of thing is easier to handle through multiple subtasks of a parent task.

If you want even less input to do, I suggest you use different Issue Types for each of the types of tasks, have different workflows for each. You can use the same steps, just use a different Quick Subtasks post-function on create so that the subtasks are all created automatically from a specific template.

0 votes
James Watts April 30, 2015

Or do you think JIRA would struggle with the nature of what my requirement is?

Suggest an answer