Workflow with statuses after "Fixed" resolution

Eshan Salpadoru December 10, 2017

Hi All,

Our dev and test teams have adapted Agile pretty nicely and have been completing sprints. But we have this situation where we are not always able to deploy the deliverable due to various compliance/policy requirements related to deployment which we have no control over. 

While the stories are essentially "Done" when it is ready deploy, we would still like to monitor the stories until they are deployed to prod. 

I am contemplating changing the "Resolution" to "FIxed" when it passes "Test" and then having a few more statuses to monitor the story outside of the sprints. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eshan

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2017

My thoughts are that you've come up with a very good way of handling issues so that Jira works well for you.

I would have a set of status in my workflow that show me where everything is and then build my boards around it. 

A developer board would be exactly what you describe - some columns showing "to do", "being developed" and "done" in general and with the "done" column containing status along the lines of "code done", "ready to go live" and "gone live" - your developers don't generally care about the live status. 

I'd then have another board for the people looking after production, with "we developed stuff" as the left-hand to-do column, and the far-right one being "we deployed this"

Eshan Salpadoru December 10, 2017

Thanks Nic. That makes sense. Can you also confirm the velocity/burn down charts work on the resolution field and as long as the resolution is set to "Fixed" when the developers are done with the story, the reporting will work correctly despite having more status afterwards?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2017

>Velocity/burn down charts

These work entirely on the "definition of done", which, in Jira Software, means "the far right hand column".  For Jira Software, the resolution is irrelevant.

Eshan Salpadoru December 11, 2017

Thanks. That seems critical to how JIRA is used but isn't obvious to people new to JIRA. You'd think Atlassian will make that very clear. 

I have a follow up question. I am using a add-on called Epic Sum Up to give me a view of the Epics. This shows the number of completed issues in an Epic. This is displayed on an Epic and not on a board. So in this case, what does "Completed" mean?

epicsum.PNG

Suggest an answer