Workflow with Roadblock

duganmr June 30, 2013

Anyone out there using the default JIRA workflow and employing an option to flag the issue with a roadblock, or something similar? Don't want to re-invent the wheel. Share? Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2013

No.

The reason I've given a flat "no" here is that I've seen this implemented in all sorts of ways... and they all end up editing the workflow in the long run. Which means loads of ways to show "roadblocked", but none of them sticking with the default workflow.

The reason is simple - an issue that is "blocked" in some way is almost always best represented with a specific status meaning "we'd work on it if we could, but we can't". Even the places that started out and stuck with a more simple flag (e.g. a label or custom field saying "roadblocked", or a link to an issue that is blocking it ) ended up wanting to use the flag to say "cannot progress this", which leads to a condition on the workflow.

Also, you'll find most people want a clear and distinct way to show "blocked", because it can't be "in progress", "resolved", "open" etc when it's blocked - it's a very different state of play.

That said, I really do mean the workflow edits can be very very simple - add a step for "blocked", add in a couple of transitions in and out. Done.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Hi, as Nic said no, but if you really need references, do a search on https://marketplace.atlassian.com for similar workflows that might meet your needs.

Suggest an answer