Workflow with Roadblock

Anyone out there using the default JIRA workflow and employing an option to flag the issue with a roadblock, or something similar? Don't want to re-invent the wheel. Share? Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 votes

No.

The reason I've given a flat "no" here is that I've seen this implemented in all sorts of ways... and they all end up editing the workflow in the long run. Which means loads of ways to show "roadblocked", but none of them sticking with the default workflow.

The reason is simple - an issue that is "blocked" in some way is almost always best represented with a specific status meaning "we'd work on it if we could, but we can't". Even the places that started out and stuck with a more simple flag (e.g. a label or custom field saying "roadblocked", or a link to an issue that is blocking it ) ended up wanting to use the flag to say "cannot progress this", which leads to a condition on the workflow.

Also, you'll find most people want a clear and distinct way to show "blocked", because it can't be "in progress", "resolved", "open" etc when it's blocked - it's a very different state of play.

That said, I really do mean the workflow edits can be very very simple - add a step for "blocked", add in a couple of transitions in and out. Done.

Hi, as Nic said no, but if you really need references, do a search on https://marketplace.atlassian.com for similar workflows that might meet your needs.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,175 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot