Workflow with Approval(s)

AgilePM April 16, 2013

Hello - my question is fairly simple... What is the best way to handle an approval in JIRA? I am modelling a support process and at one step in the workflow an approval needs to be collected from the requestor and either (a) continue on in the workflow or (b) revert to the previous step in the workflow.

I want the support lead to maintain control over moving the workflow along and the requestor's input is only either YES or NO.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

- Have Requestor add Comment?

- Create special Approval Subtask and assign to Requestor?

- Plugins for Approvals?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2013

We actually use JIRA for our Support Desk! JIRA's customizable workflow makes it really easy to create approval workflows.

I'd suggest creating a workflow step that the support lead assigns to the requestor for approval with transitions to either accept or reject which then transitions back to the support lead.

If you don't want the requestor to own any part of the transition process I might suggest adding a comment.

AgilePM April 16, 2013

Thanks for the comments, is this something that happens programmatically or can be configured via web GUI?

So if the 'Assignee' is the Support Lead and the 'Requestor' is the person who opened the ticket... the 'Assignee' would move the workflow into 'Waiting UAT' and then the 'Requestor' would come into JIRA and Accept or Reject to move the Workflow appropriately (Either to the next stage (Approve) or back to In Progress (Reject)).

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

Here you have documentation to customize your workflow:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Custom+Workflow

What you have to it's edit your workflow and add status and transition.

In this case what you need it's the assignee to do a transition 'Get Approval' this would fire a post function that will assign the issue to the user who has to approve, then this user will have a transition called 'Approved' that will make the issue assigneed to the user who requested the approval.

Like michael.denny likes this
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

To achieve that you can use Postfunction like:

-Assign to role member

-Update event field (choose assignee field)

That way you can set automatic assignations inside transitions.

AgilePM April 16, 2013

Thanks Ramiro. I like the approach outlined by Alexandra and expanded on by you. I guess what I need to figure out is how to have the assignee flip flop like that, from Original Assignee, to Approver, back to Original Assignee.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Search for JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions on Atlassian Market. It's free and it's a must have plugin :)

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

http://atlss.in/workflowguide is a good resource for this. See page 5.

5 votes
Ewa Boloczko February 21, 2017

Is there any chance approvals will be availble in JIRA Software. We don't use SD, and there is no plan for that. It's a nice feature!

Thanks,
Ewa 

Phillip Ponzer _Cprime_ September 14, 2018

You can model this using workflows by having a status like "Needs Approval" that can only be transitioned away from by the assignee. See the accepted answer for more information on that.

2 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Hi, if I understand correctly, the best and easiest option to do this will be having a previous transition-status that only a bunch of people can do, this would have two transitions an approval or a rejection, if this user gives his approval then it will go to a status where the other user can continue.

Hope this helps.

AgilePM September 2, 2015

Thanks Ramiro. I like the approach outlined by Alexandra and expanded on by you. I guess what I need to figure out is how to have the assignee flip flop like that, from Original Assignee, to Approver, back to Original Assignee.

1 vote
Brad Mace [ATS] September 9, 2016

As of Service Desk 3.2.0 there is native support for approvals built in:

Setting up approvals

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2017

Hello @AgilePM,

There's a great add-on that could fit your needs https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.herzum.jira.plugin.approval.herzum-approval-plugin/server/overview . 4.0 will be released in few weeks with more features and a graphic restyling that makes it awesome. 

Regards,

Fabio

Suggest an answer