Workflow transitions with multiple originating steps?

Svein Seldal September 30, 2013

Can the same workflow transition have multiple originiating steps? Much in the same way global transitions do, but with a select list of origniating steps.

How can I apply this with Jira 6.0.7?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Along with global transitions - as mentioned Jamie, there are also common transitions, available from Workflow designer - when you are making trnasition to step where already some transition ends, you can choose this as *common* transition. But it basically doesn't differ from global transition (just you are hardwiring the source steps).

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Yeah, this is a better answer than mine. And adding common actions is the only reason I ever go into the workflow designer...

Svein Seldal October 2, 2013

Perfect. Thank you Jozef, that was exactly the answer my question. I didn't know about the common transition scheme in the designer.

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2013

Personally I create a global transition then use a condition to bar it from one or more of the originating statuses. There are already conditions you can use for this, for instance there is a built-in script condition in script runner for this.

Svein Seldal October 1, 2013

I didn't say, but this is under the Agile workflow, where there are no conditions on moving the status across. The main problem with having the global transition and the specific transition is that the user is given the choice when dragging in Agile boards to which of the two transitions to use.

0 votes
Svein Seldal October 1, 2013

I have a workflow with 6 statuses. Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

1. Given status A, B, C, D, E, F
  2. You can then create a A,B,C,D,E,F -> F global transition
  3. Then you want a special A -> F transition to replace the global A -> F transition
  4. Since it is not possible to remove the A -> F transition from the global transition set, you need to remove the global transition alltogether
  5. Create a transition with multiple originating status B,C,D,E,F -> F. Note the missing A.

So can I do no 5) with Jira?

Unless no 5) is possible, you'd need in this case to create a number of transitions for each of permutations possible, B->F, C->F, D->F and so on, woulnd't you. Because if you do it's a nightmare to administer. With 6 statuses there are in total 36 permuations of transitions!

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2013

Could you detail a little more what you are trying to achieve?

Suggest an answer