Workflow transitions for "In Review" status

Chris December 13, 2015

Hi,

I have two requirements needed for requirement review workflows.

1. On one work flow I require that a draft must be approved by two individual parties before progressing on to "Review Complete". And a management override must also exist.
  2. On another workflow I require that a draft is held at "In Review" status for 24hrs. If in this time no action is taken by the reviewers the workflow automatically progresses onto the next Status: "Review Complete".

Is this possible?

Many Thanks,

Chris

1 answer

2 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2015

To meet your requirements you need to have a scripting plugin such as ScriptRunner to be able to make these changes. Using ScriptRunner this is how you would approach your two requirements.

1. On one work flow I require that a draft must be approved by two individual parties before progressing on to "Review Complete". And a management override must also exist.

Have a self-reflecting workflow action that checks a custom field for approvers and allows (a restricted set of) users to approve. This workflow action would have a condition to check that there are < 2 approvals recorded.

The second transition would be available to progress with the condition.

Count users in custom field >1 OR management role

This then allows your management overrule to take place. See https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_simple_scripted_condition for how to include more complex scripted conditions than those provided by JIRA as default.

1. On another workflow I require that a draft is held at "In Review" status for 24hrs. If in this time no action is taken by the reviewers the workflow automatically progresses onto the next Status: "Review Complete".

To achieve this with ScriptRunner you would have a scheduled process which would look at all issues in "In Review" and the duration that they have been in there. Once they go past 24 hours it would automatically transition to "Review Complete".  This is called an escalation service and is described here - https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/escalation-service.html

Chris December 13, 2015

Hi Phil, Thanks so much for answering! Very helpful information! Will I struggle to implement this with scriptrunner if I dont have any coding experience? Is what you suggested possible with any of the available plugins for JIRA? Thanks, Chris

Chris December 16, 2015

Would I be able to implement this using JIRA Workflow Toolbox?

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2015

Hi Chris I do not have JIRA Workflow Toolbox installed and a quick look at the documentation is showing lots of weird links.... But in principle it looks like you should be able to do the first requirement. So Condition can be based on regular expression or a mathematical check if you are just incrementing approvals which is all present. The post-function exists to increment approvals by 1 so that is possible. However I am not seeing any part that would provide you with an automated transition but maybe I am missing something here?

Suggest an answer