• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Workflow transistion rules vs. workflow-triggered automation rules

Hi!

In a workflow I can create rules for Triggers, Conditions, Validators and Post functions. I would like to know where in this sequence do workflow-triggered Jira Automations take place. Specifically, if I create an automation that triggers on "Issue created", is it triggered after all the workflow Post functions are triggered, or earlier?

Cheers,
Kevin

PS. Wouldn't it be nice if workflow-triggered automations showed up in the list of workflow rules?

3 answers

For every transition in a workflow, you will have at least one post-function which fires an event, for example, Issue Created on the create transition and Generic Event for all others unless you modify these.

If you use an "Issue Created" trigger in your automation rule, then it is processed when the Issue Created event is processed in the post function.

If you use an "Issue Transitioned" trigger, then these will be processed when the event post function in the transition is processed.

0 votes

Hi @kevin_mcnamee 

That's why you also have post functions in the workflow. These happen when the transition has happened. You can see them for a specific transition in your workflow along with their order.

Automation rules are like listeners that can do something based on an event related to issues (created, commented) or other events (version releases). You can use tags in your rules to quickly filter issues that are triggered from issue transition events.

Ravi

Hi Ravi!

Are you saying that the workflow-triggered Automation rules occur when the Post function "Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners." occurs?

/Kevin

Automation rules are not really triggered by the workflows only. It is the events like issue creation, transition, edit issues, assignment etc. There are many events can happen without workflows as well. For workflow transitions you can find one essential post function called "Fire a Generic Event.." which can be processed by the listeners.

Yes. This is all useful information, but it does not really answer my question unfortunately.

In my experience it happens after the post-functions. Or well, that's the assumption we're going off of.

You could test it by setting a field value in a post-function, and then log that field value in an Automation rule.

If we're to believe what the triggers say, they fire "AFTER" the event (issue created/transitioned, field changed, etc.), and so the audit logs should show what your post-function set.

If not... then Automation is firing sometime before then, but that would be... weird, and I'm sure we'd see a lot more complaints about it here. :-}

Let us know.

Yes, this is a reasonable interpretation. More specifically, I expect that the automation rules listen for events, in this case the "Issue Created event". Still I would like to have this confirmed. I will ask Atlassian support for a definite answer.

Thanks,
Kevin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you