Workflow question

NickW June 10, 2012

Hi All

In our current bug traking software we have a fairly traditional work flow. Bugs are assigned to devs for fixing and in a seperate field to testers for validating. I am wondering what the best way to implement this is in JIRA. There is a assignee field which I guess can be used to assigne to different people at different points in the bug lifecycle... I am assuming I can still determine who has worked on a bug... is that true? OR should I create a new field to list testers seperately.

I guess a follow on question is can you limit who can be an assignee at different points in teh lifecycle such that when marked for fixing only Devs names are avaialable or when marked for validation only testers names appear.

Many thanks

Nick

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2012

Jira has the concept of groups. You can create a qa group and a dev group. My suggestion is to add a state transition for the qa step. The online documentation covers how to modify a workflow.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2012

Here is one of the many online links on creating custom workflows.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Creating+a+Custom+Workflow

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2012

Hi Nick,

we have a project role "developers" and another role "testers" and control the visibility of the steps with workflow conditions. So some steps can only be seen by testers, others only by developers.

In the issue history, you can always see, which developer fixed a bug, even it is now assigned to a tester for validating it. You don't need a second field.

Best regards

Thomas

Suggest an answer