Workflow question / advice

Kevin McCarthy March 3, 2016

Our process requires 2 types of backlog items: Groomed and Ungroomed. The "unclean masses" can only create ungroomed tickets, since they are likely low quality. Groomed tickets are high quality, work-ready tickets that have story points, steps to reproduce, acceptance criteria, etc.

I initially created 2 status fields, where tickets were all opened as Ungroomed. Then created a Groooming process to make sure all fields were provided to get to Groomed status.

This creates frustration with power users who can't create a Groomed ticket. The workflow system only supports one initial status.

Question:

1) can I specify 2 different creation processes, one for each type?

2) If not, can I trigger a status change if all the necessary fields are provided during initial creation, automatically promoting the ticket to Groomed status?

Thanks for the advice!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

I've done both types of option in the past. 

For point 1 - yes, sort of.  You can have two different issue types and associate a different workflow with each (then one of them goes to ungroomed and the other to groomed on create).  The weakness here is that you can't stop your "unwashed masses" from using the groomed issue type.  The best you can do there is to have a validator that blocks the actual creation on some criteria (probably like "user is in power user groups/role") but they'll still be able to start creating the issue

For point 2 - not natively, but you can create a transition from ungroomed to groomed, protect it with a "only power users" condition and then ask them to use it when they finish creation.  You can build on that though, if you have the Script Runner, you can put on a "fast track" transition that can catch the create and automatically do the groomed transition.

1 vote
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

1) Not really.  There are ways, but all I can think of are fairly hack-ish.

2) In the "create issue" transition, you can use the 'fast track transition' script runner operation to move to Groomed, based on whatever criteria you want to include.  This could be based on role, group, field values, etc.

Suggest an answer