Workflow properties: allow only assignee to assign issue

willmeroth July 19, 2017

Hello! Our company uses JIRA server mainly as a bugtracking tool. I want to restrict certain workflow statuses (every 'work in progress' status) so that only the currently assigned user (assignee) can assign another user.

As I understand it (the documentation seems to be very poor) the way to do this is using Workflow Properties. I tried

jira.permission.assign.role = assignee

but it doesn't seem to work and some users even get errors when viewing an issue. What is the correct syntax for my problem? Is there an role ID for the assignee?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2017

"the documentation seems to be very poor" - I'd say that's an understatement!

Despite that, you've managed to get quite close.  My notes say that the format of it is:

jira.permission.[subtasks.]{permission}.{type} = <something>

The [subtasks] I'm not sure about, and it's optional.  I think it's to do with saying "no, bob, you can't create subtasks while in this status", so let's ignore that for now.

Your line is "assign.role = assignee".  That will nearly work, but not the way you think.  The role is a user role in a project, not a user/issue role.  So you'd actually use it to say "assign.projectrole = developer" and it would refer to people in the role of developer in that project.  You could have a role called assignee, but it's a role, not the assignee!  Also, it will want the id of the role, not the name.

I think you want

jira.permission.assign.assignee = true

willmeroth July 24, 2017

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for!
Btw, using the role name acutally works for me. I'm using

jira.permission.assign.group = QS

and it does what it's supposed to do.

Jorge May 23, 2022

Hi everyone!

What would it be the correct syntax for this but in the opposite way? in other words, not to assigned to a group.

Suggest an answer