Workflow problems

Neil Taylor December 19, 2012

Hi -

I have a ticket that was created and is in the "New" stage, but the options to move it through the workflow are not showing up. This has only happened with about 5 tickets in the last 24 hours. If I create a test ticket, the workflow options show up just fine. If I take the ticket that doesn't show the options and Clone it, the Cloned copy shows the options to move through the workflow.

Really strange. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

You must have some workflow conditions which is blocking you from progressing it.

An example would be a condition like "Only Assignee can execute this transition"

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Can you try the integrity checker and see if there are any workflow steps/states that needs to be fixed?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Database+Integrity+Checker

The conditions used are:

Only users in project role Administrators can execute this transition.
— OR
Only users in group jira-administrators can execute this transition.
— OR
Only users in group Technical Director can execute this transition.
I'm a jira-administrator. I don't see the workflow options. I do see the workflow options if I clone the ticket.

Trying to run the integrity checker, but it keeps erroring out. It's really odd though that the direct clone of the ticket works correctly.

Integrity checker keeps throwing a proxy error every time I try to run it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Clone is essentially doing a new create. What could be the difference from the original create? My guess is that you might have some custom code that is fired during create. Of maybe the indexes are going crazy. Any error in the logs?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Must be some DB transaction error during that time I guess. You can fix it only using the integrity checker (or in the DB).

Not that I can find. Shouldn't be any custom code during create. I have also tried creating these as new tickets. All the same information, fields filled out exactly the same, etc. Essentially doing a manual clone, but through the new ticket process and they work fine. It is solely these 5 tickets, created during a 2 hour window it looks like.

Neil Taylor December 20, 2012

To update, I found a work around to the problem. I actually made a copy of the workflow (completely identical) and applied it essentially as a new workflow for the ticket type. All the same ticket statuses, so the tickets were unaffected, other than it solved the problems and the few that I couldn't move through the workflow now move correctly. Strange. We'll see if it ever happens again. Thanks for your help!

Neil Taylor December 20, 2012

By the way, I also tried re-indexing the database before implementing this "fix" which did not help.

Suggest an answer