Workflow post-function on Create to populate Epic fields based upon their Parent (Initiative issue)

Melinda Atkinson October 17, 2017

Hi,

I have created a post-function in my JIRA workflow (create transition) which populates the component field of a Story based upon the component field of the linked Epic (using the JMWE add-on Copy field value to linked issues" post-function:  https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWE/pages/68878492/Copy+field+value+from+linked+issues).

With increased use of JIRA Portfolio, we now have teams using Initiatives (top level issue type based on portfolio hierarchy) which are associated to Epics via the Parent Link field.  However, this is not a standard link type that is referenced in the configurable options of the JMWE post-function I list above.  We want to have similar functionality - Epic component populated with Initiative component at "create".

Has anyone else been able to implement something like this?  And if so, how did you associate the Epic to its Parent.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Melinda Atkinson October 18, 2017

In case anyone else stumbles across this. 

With assistance from Innovalog, I was able to implement this functionality using the 'Set Field Value' post-function to set the components field of my Epic at create using this Groovy Script:

if (issue.get("Parent Link") != null)
  return com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.issueManager.getIssueObject(issue.get("Parent Link").key).getComponentObjects()

Suggest an answer