Workflow error: Cannot find Screen with id 'xxxxx'

hachi April 28, 2013

Hi,

I recently created screen schemes and had deleted them too. Unfortunately, now I can't access Administration -> workflows. Its showing up the following sytem error:

Cause: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find Screen with id '10031'.

Followed by a huge message. I am using JIRA enterprise version and so I am not able to get support. It would be really great if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2013

Ouch. I've done that in the past (it's nothing to do with "screen schemes" though, you've created a "screen", used it in the workflow, and then deleted it). It sounds a little odd to me though - I was usually able to get into the list of workflows, to have it crash out if you click on the damaged workflow.

Are you really getting the error when just going into the list of workflows? Or is it like my memory, and you on;y get it when you try to do something with a workflow?

If it's that broken, your only option might be database hacking, but I'd rather not start describing that if we can avoid it.

hachi April 28, 2013

Hi Nic! Thank you for a quick response! You're right! I created a screen, used it in workflow and then deleted it to create a new one.

I am getting the error when I goto the list of workflows. I tried both Administration - > Global Settings -> Workflows and Workflow Schemes - > View all workflows. Both are showing the same error message. I am able to edit the already existing workflows which are linked to the workflow schemes from workflow scheme screen. But I am unable to create new workflows or copy workflows as I can't access the workflow screen.

I'm a newbie on JIRA(3 weeks old) so I got confused with the steps that I took to create a screen and wanted to try it again from the beginning.

Can we get the workflow list back someone?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2013

I'm afraid I only know of one way to do this in Jira 3.x

1. Stop Jira
  2. Take a backup of your database
  3. Prove the backup works
  4. (Yes, I'm serious about backups, as amending a Jira installation via SQL is a recipe for disaster)
  5. In the database, insert into fieldscreen values ('10031', 'Temp name', 'Temp description')
  6. Restart Jira
You should now be able to get into the list of workflows, and edit the one(s) that use the screen, removing all references to that screen from them. Once you've done that, remove the temporary screen in the UI. Note - do NOT try to do anything else with this "temp screen" - I have no idea what might break, as I've only ever done this to enable the ability to get into the workflows far enough that I can delete it and start clean.
Like Salvijus Laucius likes this
hachi May 4, 2013

hi Nic,

Now the following error shows when I try to login to JIRA:

Cause:
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (ORA-01034: ORACLE not available ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory )

Any idea what this means?

sgupta0102 September 21, 2014

Hi Nic, Hi, We are getting same exception but unable to replicate in our environment bcoz couldn't delete screens those associated with Workflows ...

Akshay K.V. April 11, 2018

Hi Hachi,

I came across this KB which can fix the issue. Try out the fix in a staging/QA environment.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/workflow-error-cannot-find-screen-with-id-xxxxx-295305313.html

0 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2014

Hi Hachi,

This problem has been documented in the following KB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=295305313

Try to follow the instructions from it and the problem should be resolved!

Cheers,

Pietro

0 votes
hachi April 28, 2013

*Somehow

Suggest an answer