Workflow/State/Transition - Please, please help

Sherri Netherby-Cox February 4, 2016

I am SO frustrated right now.  I feel incredibly lame.  I took a copy of the default workflow.  Added two states - On Hold and Code Review and I cannot for the life of me get them on my workflow properly.  I think I am so upset with JIRA now that I am overlooking something easy - I cant tell yall how many help articles ive read - i read atlassians tutorial.  It doesnt work for me.  I am not using the active workflow.  Does anybody have a suggestion for me?

3 answers

0 votes

Edit — Copy of Sam Android Workflow Razer Jira.png   

This is what I mean by weird.  Thanks again!

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

That's normal; when you have two transitions in and out of the same pair of statuses, it combines their lines visually into one to reduce clutter (or such is my assumption).

Thanks sooooo much!

0 votes

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for answering smile

I took a copy of the workflow.

Created a status called Code Review

Added a transition called Ready for Review from In Progress to Code Review.

Added a transition called Reviewed from Code Review back to In Progress 

I have the transitions appearing on the default screen because I dont know where else to put them

It just kind of looks weird... the other transitions i see dont look like mine

Thanks again

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2016

All transitions will appear on the screen you get when viewing the issue (well, more precisely, they are screen independent, as they are are not part of the screen layout).  How they appear depends partly on the JIRA configuration and the total number of transitions available out of the current status.   In my instance, two of the transitions will appear as separate buttons, the rest under the "Workflow" menu.

When you say your transitions look weird, could you be more specific?  Button or Workflow menu item, the label should say "Ready for Review", for example.

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2016

High level:

1) Add the status to the workflow (you are now editing a draft workflow)

2) Add a transition to that status from one or more other statuses

3) Add a transition from that status to one or more statuses

4) Publish the draft workflow so that it becomes active

Assuming you've done all of that (3 is optional, but then you'll be stuck in that status), what symptom are you experiencing?  From one of step 2's source statuses, do you not see the transition?

Suggest an answer