Workflow - Assign to user based on resolution?

Nate Evans September 7, 2017

Is there a way to setup a workflow to assign to a user based on the resolution?

Use case:

1. Developer gets bug
  2. Developer resolves bug as "Fixed"
  3. Bug with "Fixed" resolution gets assigned to QA to verify
  4. If the developer resolves bug as anything other than "Fixed" (Incomplete, Duplicate, etc) bug should not be assigned to QA

I already have set up a workflow to update the Assignee field to the QA user, but all things that are resolved go to QA regardless of the Resolution field.

Here's a pic of the workflow diagram attached if that helps illustrate the point.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.53.03 AM.png

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

Hi Nate,

If you want to set the assignee based on the resolution, I would do the following:

create a transition for every possible resolution from "In Progress" to "Done"

Set the resolution in the workflow post function and remove the field from the screen

Set the assignee in the workflow post function

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

A similar option is just to have two transistions. Something like:

• One transiton called 'Fixed' which has no screen and uses post functions to set resolution to 'Fixed' and auto-assign to QA.
  • Another transistion called 'Won't Fix' which has a screen, where the user can pick the resolution. You can use the jira.field.resolution.exclude workflow transition property here. This can be used to exclude the 'Fixed' resolution from the list of resolutions available for user to pick in the 'Won't Fix' transition.

This blog has a good explanation of how to use the jira.field.resolution.exclude transition property: http://blog.valiantys.com/en/jira-en/jira-workflow-limiting-resolution-field-options

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

Sam's option is much clearer - you won't have so much workflow buttons on your screen to confuse your users ;-)

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

And it wouldn't be a complete answer from me if I don't add just one more thing:

I'd be wary of setting the 'Fixed' resolution before a bug has been through QA. After all, you don't really know the bug has been properly resolved until it has been tested - despite what the dev might think : )

Personally, I'd probably go with something more like the following:

From In Progress status:

• 'Fixed' transition leads to a 'Verfication' status, auto-assigns to QA, but does not set resolution.
  • 'Won't Fix' transition leads to a 'Done' status, allowing user to pick limited resolutions (using method described above).

From Verfication status:

• 'Verified' transition leads to Done status and sets 'Fixed' resolution.
  • 'Not Fixed' transition leads to Reopened status.

But up to you of course Nate. You might have good reasons for setting resolution earlier. Hope this is helpful at least.

Nate Evans September 7, 2017

Great, thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try. Still trying to wrap my head around Jira admining... But looks like these approaches may help me avoid going for a paid addon :)

Suggest an answer