[Workaround] copy Parent issue custom field when creating a subtask

Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

for the context:

One onboarding request needs to be executed by multiple people

I have set up a set of rules to create sub-tasks and assign them to different people.

I need to copy some information from the parent request to a child sub-task

I know many people struggled with this. I've seen their community posts. For some re-fetch prior to issue creation worked, but not for me.

I have set up an extra rule to trigger upon an Issue Created event, to check if issue is a sub-task and has a keyword in the summary. But it does not ever trigger. 

When I set it to trigger manually and run it manually from Issue view it runs and does what I need: it copies a check boxes values from the parent's custom field to the child's description perfectly

Requested access:
{{issue.parent.customfield_12931.value}} 

This is very frustrating. How do I get this to work?

Any help is much appreciated 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

This needs to be checked in the second rule to trigger:

[ ] Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

But this is still a workaround. I wish I didn't have to create this rule altogether

0 votes
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Alexey Paveliev,

Is your issue that one rule won't be triggered by the result of another rule?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2021

@Simmo that was a secondary problem I figured 

The primary thing is that I had to create the additional rule.

Why can't I use parent's information when creating a child sub-task?

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Alexey Paveliev

Can you share some screenshots of the rule configuration? I'm still a bit confused as to why you can't do that. You can using smart values.

What sort of project is it?

Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2021

@Simmo 

It's an IT Support project in Support Management

This a screenshot of the rule where I create a subtask when main request gets approved.

My intention was to have some of the initial request's information to be present in the sub-task

jira.png

This is not exactly the custom field but still does not work regardless.

I searched and found some posts here about the same issue. One user reported they had success with re-fetch action prior to creation. I tried but to no avail. The summary in the example above lacks the smart value.

Here is an additional rule I created to transfer some of the Parent's SF data to the child which worked just fine. It is hooked up to create issue event

jira1.png

Simmo
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2021

Hi @Alexey Paveliev

Ah, I see your issue in the first screenshot. So, the smart value you should be using is just:

{{issue.summary}}

The reason for this is that issue refers to whatever issue is in context. In your case, you haven't used a branch at all and your trigger is issue transitioned so that is the issue in context. The sub task hasn't been created yet so you don't need to use .parent yet.

Hopefully that should resolve your issue and you shouldn't need that second rule then?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Suggest an answer