Work descriprion screen customization

fjodors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2015

Hello

We'd like to customize work description (log work) screen in JIRA.

I assume that there is html file for this screen in JIRA install directory

Is it possible to detect the location of this file?

Thanks

Fyodor

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2015

No, there isn't.  The screens in JIRA are almost all dynamically built using templates (using webwork and velocity mostly) and it's often not as simple as "tweak one file", some screens are constructed from many.   There's little or no plain html in JIRA.

Question is what exactly do you want to do to the screen?  Your intention may change which files you want to edit...

fjodors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2015

Hello Nic Thank you for info. I'd to edit a "Log" button and screen content. if there are no plain html file, is it possible to detect what template is used for this screen? Fyodor

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2015

So what do you want to do to the "log" button? I ask because you can customise some things without touching the template files...

fjodors
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2015

I'd like to make "work description" field required. My idea is to check this field when I am pressing "Log" and disable submit if this field is empty

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2015

Mmm, I wouldn't try to do that on the screen - it needs javascript, which you'd need to inject in more than just that screen, and if a user really doesn't want to do it, it's a doddle to bypass it. You want to do this server-side with a validator of some sort. I know the Tempo addon can make a worklog description mandatory and I think there are other addons that enable it too.

fjodors
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2015

Hello Nic Unfortunately I am not able to install Tempo now. Is there any other addons with the same option? I created a script that makes work description field required and placed this script into announcement banner. Script works, however I'd like to place this script into screen, not in the banner, so I am asking about customization. Fyodor

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2015

I've always been able to use Tempo, so I've not looked for other plugins, so I can't really say, sorry. You'll need to dig out all the screens that the worklog description could be placed on and add the script to them, hacking the core of Jira to do that.

Suggest an answer