Wondering if possible to setup customer bug email account which would automatically turn each email into a bug?

CaptainJonesy June 30, 2014

We receive lot of emails from users informing us of bugs and giving feedback. Currently with each email we receive, we have to manually enter them into Jira On demand. I'm wondering if there's a a way that each email gets automatically entered into Jira?

Thank you for your time and assistance on this matter.

Chris

P.S we use Jira On Demand which has different configurations/functionality to Jira Download.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jessica_Moszkowicz June 30, 2014

If you have a website, you can set up JIRA issue collectors to do this! Check out:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Using+the+Issue+Collector

To clarify, your users wouldn't be sending e-mails anymore, but rather they would be filling out a form with the same information they would put in an e-mail. That form will create the issue in JIRA and store information about who reported it.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2014

You've only got the basic mail handlers in OnDemand, but it does work

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2014

p.s. I usually tell everyone to use JEMH because the built-in handlers are only good enough for basic usage, but it's not availble for OnDemand.

On the bright side, Andy is looking for beta testers for OnDemand, as he mentions below - I'd sign up ;-)

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2014

Hi Chris,

Well, one option is that you could auto-create user accounts for all incoming email. If that has implications perhaps you need something else, like the OnDemand version of JEMH (called JEMH-OD), its being developed right now and is aiming for public beta later this month (ie no, you cant buy it yet)

A common feature that addresses your case is to provide mapping rules that route email from: 'user@domain.com' or to: 'custx@yoursupport.com' to a given project. This is what is called Project Mapping, some documentation for JEMH is available to give you an idea:

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Use+Project+Mappings

The bonus of this solution is that your remote senders can get notified of updates to the issue, and reply to notifications too.

If you are interested, I can add you to the beta user list?

Suggest an answer