Won't start

Michael Cullum July 24, 2013

I'm using windows. I've run the setup - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Installing+JIRA+from+an+Archive+File+on+Windows%2C+Linux+or+Solaris#InstallingJIRAfromanArchiveFileonWindows%2CLinuxorSolaris-4.StartJIRA

When I go to start JIRA I run:

M:\repos\tracker>runas /env /user:jira bin/start-jira.bat

Enter the password for jira:

Attempting to start bin/start-jira.bat as user "MICHAEL-MAIN\jira" ...

A command prompt window flashes up and disappears and nothing happens and it doesn't work. I've tried print screening but the window disappears too fast to even screenshot it.

Java is installed fine (running java in CLI produces a suitable output) and nothing is using port 8080.

Thanks

6 answers

0 votes
kailash chander April 1, 2014

what was the solution?? iam also facing the same issue

0 votes
Michael Cullum July 25, 2013

Thanks. All fixed. :)

0 votes
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Hi Michael,

Sounds like there is something wrong with the archive files. My suggestion would be to download a fresh copy of the archive, extract it on windows with a non-windows archive utility (7zip for example) and try again. The warnings above when querying google return issues with missing files (dlls) so my theory here is since tomcat is bundled with jira, there is a problem with the archive.

Ensure to do everything as administrator also. Run as..

0 votes

I just opened tomcat7.exe directly and a command prompt flashes up and then disappears before it can be read/screenshotted, just like the window when starting jira.

I ran tomcat7.exe in cmd and I got the output:

M:\repos\tracker\bin>tomcat7.exe

[2013-07-25 13:32:58] [warn] The system cannot find the Registry key for service 'tomcat7'

[2013-07-25 13:32:58] [error] Load configuration failed

[2013-07-25 13:32:58] [error] The system cannot find the file specified.

[2013-07-25 13:32:58] [error] Commons Daemon procrun failed with exit value: 2 (Failed to load configuration)

[2013-07-25 13:32:58] [error] The system cannot find the file specified.

0 votes

Hi Ryan,

When starting the service it fails and says see the System Event Log. I checked that and it just showed this as the error message:

The Apache Tomcat JIRA service terminated with service-specific error The operation completed successfully..

The jira home directory file hasn't even been created.

0 votes
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Hi Michael,

Have you tried installing JIRA as a service on windows and starting from the service manager? https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Running+JIRA+as+a+Service

Try looking in the tomcat logs under <jira-install>/logs/catalina.*

There may be a problem starting Tomcat causing it to crash immediately.

Suggest an answer