With cost doubling with the forced move to the cloud, what are alternative products to Jira

Paul Palasti May 27, 2022

With cost doubling with the forced move to the cloud, what are alternative products to Jira, Confluence, Jira Service Management and Bitbucket?

1 answer

1 vote
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

Hi Paul,

I understand moving to Atlassian Cloud can be time consuming and therefore expensing. If your environment is highly customized with a lot of plugins, third party integrations, scripting, etc. moving to Atlassian Cloud must be prepared carefully and without rush.

Whether your cost will be double is difficult to say and will depend on your specific case so we can't argue on that on this platform. Talk to an Atlassian partner, some will grant you a discount on licenses.

There are of course some alternatives to the products offered by Atlassian. But don't be mistaken: migrating to any other product will be difficult and probably more difficult than going to Atlassian Cloud.
You can also consider to move from server to data center. This keeps the tools on your current infrastructure with the additional benefit of more features and support. But a financial comparison should be done.

Personally I use products from Atlassian's competitors regularly (Azure Devops, GitHub, GitLab, DocuWiki, MediaWiki, ...). Especially for Confluence I have never encounterd something better Same for Jira: I really like its flexibility. I love the new Jira Cloud features like the automation rules and forms which are more limited on server. Bitbucket is great when you use other Atlassian products (git is the same everywhere, the benefits are in the integrations and extra features a git provider includes).
Please consider the whole picture before choosing another product: features, support, pricing, migration possibilities, ...

On the long term I would recommend Atlassian Cloud. It is a SaaS solution, you don't have to worry about hosting and upgrades anymore and it gets new features regularly.

Good luck with your research!

Suggest an answer