With both jira and confluence, should space keys and project keys be different or the same?

Eirik Lygre January 26, 2014

We have been using jira for a while, and are about to start using confluence. We think that we will have one confluence space per jira project, and then we need to decide on naming:

• Should we use the same conflucence space key as the already existing jira project key?
  • Will integration work better when they are the same?
  • Will something get confusing when they are the same?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2014

I'd actually say roughly the opposite from Rodrigo on the use of the key. On the technical side he's absolutely right, but it's actually very useful for humans to have a single point of reference. Being able to say "you know, the XYZ thing" and know that confluence/display/XYZ and jira/browse/XYZ will point to the single project you need to talk about is immensely useful and intuitive. I've often ended up in conversations where people are asking "but my project is called Moo, so why have I got Oom in Jira and Omo in Confluence?".

The only time I'd avoid using the same key is when you've got one-to-many relationships. For example, when a team has one confluence space and several Jira projects, people may miss the range of projects if they see a Jira project with the same name as confluence (they stop looking any further)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2014

I agree. If the mapping is 1 to 1 use the same key.

Ron Summers June 11, 2014

We just had this same question come up which is why I came out to find out what other people have said. It's good to know there isn't any technical reason (like there is between JIRA and Crucible projects not having the same key) for Confluence to be different. It may be ok with 1:1 like Nic and Davin says but we are in the 1:M and actually we have a lot of M:M where multiple teams may have different Confluence spaces and work on various JIRA projects and some of the JIRA projcts may be the same so multiple Confluence spaces may be pulling data from the same JIRA project.

0 votes
Greg Dungca August 5, 2014

Hi Eirik,

I'm in the same situation as you were. Our organization has been using JIRA for a while and we are going to use Confluence. We also plan on having one Confluence space per JIRA project. Can you update us on what naming convention you ended up using for space keys and what you recommend now as a result?

Thanks,

Greg

0 votes
Eirik Lygre February 11, 2014

So there seems to be no "right" answer, but mostly preferences. We ended up using the same key, are happy about the single point of reference, but are still fearful of the confusion.

It seems I should accept an answer, so I'll accept both :-)

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2014

Hi Eirik,

In a technical way, using the same space key as the project key won't do any harm to both apps since their databases are not the same.However, in my opinion, using the same key might cause some confusion when you need to manage the project and the space links if both applications uses the same key.

I wouldn't use the same key to avoid this kind of situation but it's up to you to decide.

Regards,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer