With XRay, is it possible to assign individual tests to different users in a Test Executionr

Mr G January 8, 2015

Hi

We're looking at Xray (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xpandit.plugins.xray) as a possible test management system.  One thing we've noticed with the Test Execution type is that you can only assign the whole execution (and all tests within) to one user.  

Is it possible to go one level further and assign different tests in the execution out to different people?

Thanks,
G.

2 answers

1 vote
Bruno Conde
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 8, 2015

Greetings,

You can only assign a Test Execution to one user, but you can have multiple Test Executions for a specific project version. A Test Execution is basically a unit of work. You can even have multiple Test Executions with the same Test for the same version. In this case, only the latest execution is considered when calculating Test and Requirement Status.

HTH,

Best Regards,

Bruno Conde.

Wiebke Dietrich February 13, 2015

Hi Mr. Conde, we have the same request. Having several test assignees within a test execution is also not planned for the future? We would really appreciate this feature. Is it possible to filter for 'Exec By'? This would be great to have a report. Can I configure 'Exec By' to be shown on Test Execution/ Test Section (like it is on Test/Test Runs Section)? Thanks in advance. Yours faithfully Wiebke Dietrich

Bruno Conde
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 13, 2015

Hi Wiebke, In the near future we will release a new version of Xray with the concept of a "Test Session". Here you will be able to assign different users to Tests and automatically create Test Executions based on the assigned work. As I said, Test Execution issues are units of work that you can assign to different testers. The "Test Session" will provide more of an analysis version and overview over the testing status for a test cycle. There is also a user story that will provide the ability to configure columns in the Test Execution tests table: http://jira.xpand-it.com/browse/XRAY-158 Kind Regards, Bruno Conde.

Wiebke Dietrich February 15, 2015

Hi Bruno, thanks a lot for your really fast reply. We are looking forward to the new "Test Sessions" :) Best, Wiebke

Marie Wieland June 30, 2021

Hi Bruno,

I'm new to the community and to the job of test manager, and I am using Xray for a few months now which I find very useful.

I see that since 2015, no other comments regarding this feature were written. I also can't find anything in the online documentation regarding "test sessions" (or did I miss it?).

Is the feature "test session" already available? If so, where can I find the documentation to learn how to use it?

If not, I'll explain why assigning multiple people to one test would be handy for me.

In our company, as we have Key Users and Back Up Key Users for every application, when we have to test these applications before a new release, very often 2 people (or even 3) would like to have access to the same bunch of tests in the test execution and simply start testing without having to ask me to assign certain tests to them (saves time). They simply give the status "executing" so that the other persons know that someone is already taking care of that test. That's why it would be very handy if I could assign each test to 2 or even 3 different persons.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Kind regards,

Marie

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

Hi @Marie Wieland 

In Xray, it is possible to assign individual Tests inside a Test Execution to different users:

assign.png

I hope it helps.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Marie Wieland July 2, 2021

Hello Rogério,

thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I realise that my question is not quite the same as the title at the top of the page... Maybe my question doesn't fit in this category then...

What I meant was that I would like each test to be assigned to 2 or 3 persons.

When a test is only assigned to person X and when that person doesn't have the time to execute the test but person Y has, person Y has to ask me first to assign the test to her/him, which delays the execution.

If for the test person X AND person Y would be assigned, then whenever one of the 2 persons has time to execute the test, that person would be able to do so directly.

When this is for 300 tests or more, that would save quite some time at the end.

Is this already possible in a test execution?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Marie

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Hi @Marie Wieland 

You're welcome, and no worries about the title/question...

Yes, it is impossible to assign more than one person to a Test Run, as we follow the same Jira rule that applies to issue assignees. In Jira, it is not possible to have more than one assignee to an issue.

However, Xray has a feature that could be helpful for you. This permission [Xray] Override Assign Test Runs (found in Project Settings / Permissions) allows you to set which users can change the Test Run assignee without the Edit Issues and Assign Issues permissions.

With this permission, you can allow other users to change the Test Run assignee without giving them more permissions like Edit or Assign issues. This one is specific for the Test Run assignee.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Marie Wieland July 16, 2021

Hi Rogério,

many thanks for your reply, indeed this helps. I'll set up a group for this special permission.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Marie

0 votes
Mr G January 9, 2015

Ahh ok.  Much thanks anyways.

Michael Stokes September 25, 2019

Could there be a setting in XRay that allows to execute a test without requiring the assignee to be filled in?

Another way to fix this would be to look at who the assignee is on a per test basis instead of on the whole test execution.

We would prefer to organize our tests by area of our application and change who runs each test after the execution sets are made. We have used Enterprise Tester and it lets multiple people run any test no matter who the assignee is. We can have 100 tests in one execution set and have 2 or more people work on one test execution.

Suggest an answer