Windows Authentication For JIRA

Sachin Dhamale
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

My Jira is hosted in the intranet and integrated with LDAP directory same as Windows user directory.

So whenever user logged in and access the jira he should automatically authenticated.

Is there any setting available in the JIRA to allowed Windows Authentication like changes in the tomcat file etc.

I have already gone through some article who has suggested IWAAC Kerberos SSO + Crowd but I dont want to use any third party plugin like IWAAC Kerberos SSO.

So Is there any programmatic or simple way to achieve this?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

You are going to need a third party add-on of some sort.  Although you can do SSO via Crowd, Crowd supports the Atlassian suite and a couple of other applications off-the-shelf. 

So you'd need to add connectors to other systems to Crowd, mainly something that integrates the Windows Desktop with Crowd.

Yes, you could do this "programatically", but it's not as easy as it sounds.  That's why there's a load of add-ons in the Atlassian marketplace that do it!  Well worth a look in there.

Sachin Dhamale
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks For Reply.

As i said we dont have that much of budget to go for crowd + third party plugin. as we already have a LDAP directory.

In dot net application we can do this by making small changes in the IIS server. As Jira is a JAVA Application there might be some way to make some changes in the tomcat server and achieve this functionality.

I think Atlassian developer or  Java Developer might be know about this.

Suggest an answer