Will the import of TRAC issues result in deleting the Workflows I've created in JIRA OnDemand?

takeshi sasaki June 3, 2012

Will the import of TRAC issues result in deleting the Workflows I'v created in JIRA OnDemand?

The document at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Importing+Issues says the following.

"This import procedure overwrites all the existing data and configuration in JIRA OnDemand and cross-application settings. For example, issues and their attachments, and look and feel configuration. Please be aware that if you choose to import data with this procedure after you have used JIRA OnDemand for a while, you will lose all the data input in the interim."

I'd like to import issues that we have in TRAC, but I don't want the setup workflow information to be overwritten. It seems odd to me that the issues will overwrite even the workflows. if they are actually overwritten, is there any means to avoide it or recover the data on top of the imported issues?

1 answer

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2012

We've done a TRAC SaaS migration to Atlassian JIRA OnDemand - but you need to do it off-line on a staging JIRA stand-alone system first.

We used the JIRA Importers plugin - which got the migration further along, but not everything. So after we knew where it broke, we did targeted scripting and tests/reruns, until the data/workflows/username references/field mappings were as we wanted on the stand-alone - and THEN worked with the OnDemand team for importing in.

Its a bit of an effort, but at least during the final run, all sanity checks in place and good confidence on the final results.

If you need any help, contact us at info@appfusions.com

Best,

Ellen

takeshi sasaki June 5, 2012

Hi Ellen

thanks for your information!

Actually, my question wasn't very accurate.

I have been working with JIRA onDemand for a while now and have setup workflows that I would need for our development. We have been using TRAC and I only want to import the tickets into JIRA onDemand. The workflow in the TRAC system will not be necessary.

My question is, can I just import the tickets without the workflow definition in TRAC, and certainly keep the already implemented JIRA workflow intact?

I understand that I need to use a staging JIRA standalone first. (I am installing it on my own machine and having trouble there already too... ;-\ ...

Patrick Li
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2012

You can import only the tickets from TRAC into OnDemand without the workflow definition in TRAC. As Ellen has explained, in our previous migrations with TRAC, we import the data (tickets) and then make sure they have the correct configurations with some custom scripts, what we will need to do is to work out a mapping betwee TRAC workflow and OnDemand workflow, this way, you will have your TRAC tickets in OnDemand, with your existing workflow intact, and your new TRAC tickets will also be using these workflows.

Regards

Patrick

Suggest an answer